Flush Insert vs. ?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
Moving this here so I don't hijack the thread I originally posted on. I am considering putting in an insert (more specifically a flush one to get a more contemporary look) but was wondering if I will regret it. In the spirit of most responses of the thread I originally commented on, burning wood rarely is tied to ROI. I get that a flush insert will not give me the "best ROI" but if it is what we like most I am thinking that is the direction we will go. Would love to hear comments.

Looks.
Doesn't take up floor space.
Most code compliant hearths remain that way after install.

The blower noise is a drawback on the Jotul but back it off from 100% down to about 80 makes a big difference.

At over 20K in wood burning equipment and tools I'm not doing it strictly for a ROI.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Looks.
Doesn't take up floor space.
Most code compliant hearths remain that way after install.

The blower noise is a drawback on the Jotul but back it off from 100% down to about 80 makes a big difference.

At over 20K in wood burning equipment and tools I'm not doing it strictly for a ROI.
Thanks, I forgot to add that this is for a townhouse at a Vermont ski area so we will only be there on weekends plus a week or two so ROI is truly limited (either way). I have a gasifier with 1,000 gallon storage at home - it would scare me to total up what I have invested here to heat with wood:).

Thanks, I forgot to add that this is for a townhouse at a Vermont ski area so we will only be there on weekends plus a week or two so ROI is truly limited (either way). I have a gasifier with 1,000 gallon storage at home - it would scare me to total up what I have invested here to heat with wood:).
Yup. Pretty hard to look at a ROI on an insert used only for weekends or short stays... wait a minute I'm doing it currently in Northern Maine but at least have intentions of making it our full time home.

I assume you have to buy your wood locally as transporting processed wood is frowned upon with the threat of the ALHB.

We love being able to watch the fire and the brown enamel compliments our decor extremely well. A very good friend around the corner here in MA has the free standing equivalent who once lights it will feed it all winter. We do love going over there for cocktails and food as we cannot have a wood stove in our home here due to the design of the house.

Last edited:
:). In theory I get firewood included as part of my Condo fee. I imagine the typical user start a fire every now and then, will be interesting to see how much wood I use and if supply keeps up with demand.

I have a fireplace at home but struggle to use it as I know it is a waste of heat and wood. Rather silly since I heat 100% with wood and I have 20 cord outside.........

I really like the look and performance of my FPX large hybrid insert. If I was building new, I'd get their elite 44 fireplace. But, for an insert, I am really happy.

I have an Avalon Rainer insert in my house and recently installed a Supreme Astra zero clearance high efficiency fireplace in my camp. Unfortunately Avalon's are no longer being sold. Both have a blower and put off a good amount of heat, the Rainer heats my 1800 sq ft house and the Astra seems to be more than adequate for my well insulated camp.

Thanks everyone, glad to hear that folks with inserts have no regrets.