Fluegas Thermometer installation (Not which one to buy question!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lequeb

Dec 19, 2019
Canada
Hi,

I had a fluegas thermomether for my double-wall pipe, so i drilled a 1/4" hole in my pipe ( Both inner and outer wall) (i followed the installation instruction).

Now, i want to change it for another brand, but've already an 1/4" drilled hole in my double wall pipe ( inner and outer wall).Does it will fit anyway, even if the inner wall isn't 3/16" drilled? " It will leak flue gas or smoke in the house our between the pipe wall?

Your pipe has steady draft when in use. It will not leak into house.

Why you changing it anyway?

Since the inner hole is supposed to be 3/16" your larger hole will allow the probe to wallow around and because of gravity it will end up falling to a downward angle. Will work fine and not leak smoke but the gauge face will be pointing more toward the ceiling than it should be.

Perhaps you can find a 1/4" OD tube with a 3/16" ID to slide over the probe? Get it back to horizontal.

I think it might be possible that it could give you falsely low readings due to the solution air being sucked in around that probe. I don't know if it would be an issue or not but it is the only real problem I could for see

Reactions: Woody Stover
Since the inner hole is supposed to be 3/16" your larger hole will allow the probe to wallow around and because of gravity it will end up falling to a downward angle. Will work fine and not leak smoke but the gauge face will be pointing more toward the ceiling than it should be.

Perhaps you can find a 1/4" OD tube with a 3/16" ID to slide over the probe? Get it back to horizontal.
I talked to a Condar representative, and everything should be fine. Her what's she told me:
"The probe that Imperial uses for their thermometers is actually the same size as ours. They use a different material, but it is the same size. We just recommend a tighter fit then they do, but it won’t hurt anything for the inner wall to be ¼” instead of 3/16”. "

Reactions: Highbeam