Flue temp always hotter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vwmike

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2013
Chilliwack, BC, Can.
Hey guys,

So just got my condor flue probe thermometer installed last week. She’s 19” off the stove top. What I’m finding is that my flue temps are always 150-200 over my stove top all the way through the burn cycle. The only time they are the same is at the very end when it’s time to reload again. This is on a free standing series A summit.
Here’s a pic about 4 hours in on a small morning fire.
Flue temp always hotter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

So just got my condor flue probe thermometer installed last week. She’s 19” off the stove top. What I’m finding is that my flue temps are always 150-200 over my stove top all the way through the burn cycle. The only time they are the same is at the very end when it’s time to reload again. This is on a free standing series A summit.
Here’s a pic about 4 hours in on a small morning fire.
View attachment 236974
You are measuring surface of the top vs internal of the pipe so it sounds good.

You are measuring surface of the top vs internal of the pipe so it sounds good.

Good to know. Did some searching and reading on here first and it’s hard to compare as there is always confusion on how the pipe temp is measured. I’m not having any problems and my chimney is clean just curious.

It's not the same as we are seeing. Our probe flue temps are generally about 100+º lower than the stove top. This is with the same firebox, though our stove is much older. At what stage of the burn is this and is this with the air all the way closed?

I can't read the temps in the picture. What are they? First thing to do is verify that the stove top thermometer is accurate. It's not uncommon for some to be off by 100º.

FWIW we're about halfway through the burn cycle and our flue temp is 380ºF with a stove top temp of 560º.

It's not the same as we are seeing. Our probe flue temps are generally about 100+º lower than the stove top. This is with the same firebox, though our stove is much older. At what stage of the burn is this and is this with the air all the way closed?

I can't read the temps in the picture. What are they? First thing to do is verify that the stove top thermometer is accurate. It's not uncommon for some to be off by 100º.

FWIW we're about halfway through the burn cycle and our flue temp is 380ºF with a stove top temp of 560º.

This is closer to my experience with Condar stove top and probe thermometers on my Drolet.