Flue pipe cemented in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nwohio

Jan 12, 2020
Northwest Ohio
I may have made a mistake...
I had a masonry chimney built as part of a room addition. The chimney is a prefab chimney block with a hollow 4 inch block veneer to give it more "beef" and an 8" (outside measure) clay flue. The mason left an 8-9" square opening into the verticle part of the chimney for my flue pipe. I struggled to figure out how to tie my round pipe into the square whole...
My solution was to install a double wall stainless pipe thought the approximately 8-9 inches of masonry work and cement it in. I used Meeco's Red Devil castable Refractory Cement and packed it into the opening around the stainless flue pipe.
Then this morning it hit me, this pipe is going to expand. Do I need to break this pipe out and do it different?

Attachments

• Flue pipe cemented in
    15788394467114738350046209334913.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Flue pipe cemented in
    157883950653557051263947985007.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 115
Not sure the class A was even needed. Other than that there will be very little expansion of the outer casing. Most of the expansion is linear and confined to the inner pipe. The outer pipe will have very negligible expansion of diameter.