Flue Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shazza

Feb 25, 2019
san francisco
As a new burner, I made some smokey fires last year and my neighbor has complained. To solve the problem and continue to use the stove, I need to add an extension to my chimney flue on the roof.
I have an insulated pipe with a peaked triangular cap which aims the the smoke downward. My plan is to change the chimney cap to one that has more open mesh and add 18-24" additional pipe. Any taller and I would have to strap it down to the roof, and I can't use a directional cap as the wind blows in that direction.
I don't think they make the brand of insulated pipe that comes up thru the roof, (mid-90's Lopi stove.) Can I use non insulated pipe for the 2' extension, or does it have to be insulated?

It has to be insulated, class A chimney.

One way to reduce startup smoke is to start the fire top down. Have you tried this? Is the wood being burned fully seasoned?

You have to match what you already have installed. Different manufacturers to not make compatible Class A chimney. You CANNOT use connector pipe.

It has to be insulated, class A chimney.

One way to reduce startup smoke is to start the fire top down. Have you tried this? Is the wood being burned fully seasoned?
I still need to learn more about building a fire correctly, but yes, the wood was seasoned. Thanks for the information.

You have to match what you already have installed. Different manufacturers to not make compatible Class A chimney. You CANNOT use connector pipe.
I don't think I can match what I have, can I use another brand of insulated pipe for this extension? Any recommendation?

Chimney pipe can not be mixed. Try to identify what you have. If there is an attic, see if there is a label on the chimney pipe or a stamping in the metal jacket that helps identify it. Ask your sweep if they know what type chimney pipe it is. Sometimes folks here can identify the pipe if you can send in some pictures of the chimney cap, the end of the pipe with the cap removed, and maybe the ceiling support too.

Until I can get that information, is there an suggested chimney cap style that would help with directing the smoke upwards?