Flue temperature and dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
On a side note to owning a lopi. They give you a free basic moisture meter. I think it reads lower than what the woods actually is (yes I check at 70* on a freshly split face). I like to place the wood against my cheek and see if it feels warm. If it’s wet it will feel cold. If it’s dry it will feel warm. If it’s in between it will feel in between ;) . I still use the lopi one as I’m cheap and don’t want to buy another one but I don’t put too much faith in it.
I had one of those as well, but didn’t have any faith in it and picked up a digital meter. I found the lopi one annoying to use/read.

On the other hand, more mfgs should do that; given that wet wood is the cause of so many problems that people encounter when upgrading to a new (EPA) stove, emphasizing the need for dry wood by "giving away" a moisture meter might quite increase buyers satisfaction, which is in the mfgs interest.

Of course it would not be free, but it it's peanuts on the price of a new stove.

Reactions: Gearhead660
On the other hand, more mfgs should do that; given that wet wood is the cause of so many problems that people encounter when upgrading to a new (EPA) stove, emphasizing the need for dry wood by "giving away" a moisture meter might quite increase buyers satisfaction, which is in the mfgs interest.

Of course it would not be free, but it it's peanuts on the price of a new stove.
I 100% agree. I think lopi is on to something. Would be nice if it was nicer and to be fair, I haven’t tested it against any other meters. It might be accurate.

Reactions: stoveliker
Here’s what the lopi moisture meter looks like.
[Hearth.com] Flue temperature and dirty glass

I vary the blower speed depending on heat needs, usually low to mid speed. I have a moisture meter, haven’t used it in awhile because I am ahead on my wood supply. I also live in an arid climate and am confident in wood dryness. 650-850, is that internal flue temps?
Flue gas temps at the appliance adapter above my damper

Reactions: Slimdusty
Thanks, good info. Previous years I didn’t have the temp probe and burned by visual cues of the fire. Now that I have a temperature to monitor I find it interesting to see the temp swings. Seems like I am well in line with your temps.
Before in installed a damper it was always pushing over 1000 degrees. And really now I can run it by sight and stove top temps. Flue probe really is nice when I want set the lowest burn rate. I can see exactly where the temps will settle in just a few minutes