Flu liner sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJay56

Jan 27, 2020
Cincinnati
Whatever sealant they used is now brittle and flaking off. What do you guys recommend to replace it with?

Flu liner sealant

That's a snotty mess. Normally nothing is used or needed unless the gap at the flue collar is large. In that case, stove door gasket material works.

It looks like refractory or stove cement. Which I think is better suited for firebrick type of placement or repair. I have tried to use that type of product for sealing a flue connector before and it didn’t seem to work well.
I think what you want would be called high temp stove and gasket cement which applies more like caulking. Maybe a pro will chime in here to clarify for sure.

This area moves due to heating and cooling. I don't see any L brackets or attachments for the liner adapter to the insert which may be part of the problem.

That's a snotty mess. Normally nothing is used or needed unless the gap at the flue collar is large. In that case, stove door gasket material works.
Yes it is a mess and I was not very happy with the install. They chipped one of my bricks on the hearth and made a mess of removing the old damper and complained the whole time about how bad the creosote was from the previous owner. Plus they did a terrible job here connecting the flu liner.

This area moves due to heating and cooling. I don't see any L brackets or attachments for the liner adapter to the insert which may be part of the problem.
I think the L brackets are there but just covered with the sealant they used. From what I remember there was a gap they had to seal because it would not pull down tight.

I did not use any flu liner sealant on the connection between the flue and the stove collar. The adapter that goes from the flexible liner to the stove collar is held in by a stainless steel screw. Because the connection expands and contracts through the course of the burning cycle the gap between the adapter and stove collar draws air into the flue which in turn impacts the ability of my stove to reach and maintain an efficient burn. To combat this I covered the connection with rock wool and then wrapped it with an adjustable sleeve held on with band clamps. This made a huge difference for me.

Flu liner sealant

I did not use any flu liner sealant on the connection between the flue and the stove collar. The adapter that goes from the flexible liner to the stove collar is held in by a stainless steel screw. Because the connection expands and contracts through the course of the burning cycle the gap between the adapter and stove collar draws air into the flue which in turn impacts the ability of my stove to reach and maintain an efficient burn. To combat this I covered the connection with rock wool and then wrapped it with an adjustable sleeve held on with band clamps. This made a huge difference for me.

View attachment 270005

Nice. Where did you get that sleeve? Would you happen to have a link?