Floorboard gaps developing in front of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jimcrook

Mar 30, 2020
Washington State
First season really running my wood insert and I'm just now noticing that the oak floorboards in front of it are starting to separate from one another. Currently there are roungly 1/16" gaps between a few of the boards. I'm assuming this was caused by the heat drying out and shrinking the wood. There is no discoloration. When the fire is going strong, the boards feel warm to the touch, but not hot. There's not really a full 16" of clearance in front of the insert door. More like 14".

Is this something I should care about, or is it to be expected? Would a fiberglass hearth rug help "insulate" the boards from the intense heat?

Floorboard gaps developing in front of insert

I get some expansion and contraction during the course of the year depending on the humidity level in the home . . . woodstoves definitely lower the humidity which is why many folks also run a humidifier.

I get some expansion and contraction during the course of the year depending on the humidity level in the home . . . woodstoves definitely lower the humidity which is why many folks also run a humidifier.
Yeah, but all of the other floorboards in the house are tight. And living in the PNW, I've never seen winter humidity in my house go below 35%.

I had this in a previous home. They went back to normal during the spring/summer months. The hardwood floor guy said it’s normal and it always went back to normal. 5 years I watched this and always wondered if he was just saying that.

As mentioned, the hardwood will expand and contract depending on humidity. I get the same gaps in the hardwood floor. My freestanding wood stove put out a ton of heat through the glass front and floor gets pretty warm. I put a hearth rug down to keep cooler. Probably my own paranoia but I did not want to ruin my brand new floors. I've learned to live with the expansion/contraction.

Same here. We see this with our oak floor in front of the stove during winter too. The heat from the stove dries out the wood more than the ambient room warmth. Once we stop burning the gaps close up.