Flexible liner through thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

whosthat

Sep 27, 2011
maine
Hey all
my house has 3 chimneys 2 had not been used in 50 years, got one lined and its in use, on the last one now. So im running a 4 inch flexible liner up through it (25ft) and was wondering if its possible to feed it up through the thimble or if its to rigid in your experience? The chimneys a standard 7inch 6 inch thimble. The reason i ask is its going to be a little hairy dragging this liner up, the powerline is in range if i drop one end and the roof is very steep.

Thanks

P.s pellet stove install, and im guessing theres no way i can avoid dragging it up on the roof but doesn't hurt to ask some experts

The first thing I am going to ask is what kind of chimney is It?
Clay tile, metal, brick?

Reactions: Washed-Up
Have you had it checked by a building inspector or fire department or maybe a chimney sweep
It could be good to go for a pellet stove

Have you had it checked by a building inspector or fire department or maybe a chimney sweep
It could be good to go for a pellet stove
I dont need to its not good to go its old as hell and some remodeling put combustibles right up against the brick. Itd be fine until i got chimney fire but not worth the risk gotta line it, then itd be code. (The thought did cross my mind though for sure)

I know how to line them ive seen it done with my 6inch liner for another chimney, just curious how flexible/light a 4 inch is and if its possible to drive it up from the bottom because im scared of heights mostly lol, even though i still gotta go up to do top plate

Someone will come along with an answer
I have never heard of it being done that way
so I have no idea. I can relate to being afraid of heights
but for me, it is more like 40 stories and working on the parapet
that gives me the jitters

Reactions: whosthat
Someone will come along with an answer
I have never heard of it being done that way
so I have no idea. I can relate to being afraid of heights
but for me, it is more like 40 stories and working on the parapet
that gives me the jitters
Ya i doubt its possible ill just order it and get my ass up there

I'd also like to show you guys a picture of what I'm dealing with here's the latest one I just found it thimble that was walled over. And for reference a couple years ago I had a mason knock the chimneys down to the roof line and rebuild them because the bricks were falling out they were just a rough shape. I have three and for obvious reasons I'm lining them because their clearance to combustibles is not good but when the Mason was rebuilding the chimneys I also had him inspect them and he said they're all good to use once lined all of their clay liners are intact as well. But you can see how I'd worry about the walls catching fire, that horsehair plaster is right up against the brick. I have no idea why they walled over the downstairs thimble and left one upstairs for this chimney I find that odd.

[Hearth.com] Flexible liner through thimble

[Hearth.com] Flexible liner through thimble