Flexible chimney liner red hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ropelie

Dec 19, 2013
Iowa
Hey guys! Went from an englander madison with double wall to triple wall to a regency i2400 with a flexible chimney liner. I have primo wood all 3 years split and stacked. Every time I start the regency and try to get it up to temp (500ish) the liner and adapter start to glow well before that. Obviously it's because the flames are running into the liner and once I close the air down a bit it stops glowing.

I am use to a double wall, is this normal? Anything to worry about?

Hey guys! Went from an englander madison with double wall to triple wall to a regency i2400 with a flexible chimney liner. I have primo wood all 3 years split and stacked. Every time I start the regency and try to get it up to temp (500ish) the liner and adapter start to glow well before that. Obviously it's because the flames are running into the liner and once I close the air down a bit it stops glowing.

I am use to a double wall, is this normal? Anything to worry about?
No it isnt normal at all where ate you measuring your temps at?

Middle top of insert. The temp gauge can't be accurate with the blower running because it cools it down so much right?

I can avoid the red hot liner if I close the primary down. Maybe my draft is too strong because it has been so cold and it' a full 23 foot chimney

Are the baffle boards in place and sitting correctly? If so, your flames must be going wild to go forward past the baffle and then back and up to the chimney.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes baffles are laying correctly but I'll check that again. The flames are going wild. 10 seconds after I shut the primary down it stops glowing

Are you shutting down the primary in steps. Starting at 400 stove top?

If I leave the primary open all the way the pipe is red before the stove top is 400. My madison was much more gradual. Should I pinch the primary down an eighth to get it started?

And I understand that I am old and behind the times, but I have never heard of a triple wall flex liner?

Ohh it's not a triple wall! Just a 25 foot flexible stainless. I couldn' imagine what they would charge for a triple wall flexible!

I have the Hampton version of that stove, and seem to have trouble slowing the fire down. If I were you, I wouldn't be shy about damping down the air and running the fan on high when it's hottest. The secondaries look like a blast furnace with a big load.

Ever since I installed my insulated line for my old 0028 VC encore I have same problem with cold starts.
My draft is very strong and I just have to pay close attention on a cold start. My T connector on back of stove does not glow but the double wall liner from the T up into chimney will glow if i dont turn primary air down a bit. On a reload I dont see this happen.
I also have to engage my cat around 350 - 400 grill temp or my digital probe temps will slowly climb to high.
I have got to know my stove performs much better with the insulated liner but the draft is very strong