Flames at top and sides of top plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrmagee

Nov 11, 2018
California
Harman Accentra, the removable plate above the burn pot - flames outside it above and at the sides.
Stove well scraped, the plate itself seems worn or cracked a little at the top. 10 years old. Doesn't seem to seat as well as it used to - I think.

That’s the flame guide. It is considered a wear item. At 10 years it might be time to replace that part.

I also have had a problem with the top plate moving out of place when pellets feed. A new plate can very well fix the problem but I have discovered some underlying issues. First the pellet size of 3/16 dia or less did not cause the plate to move whereas a pellet of 1/4 dia size would move the plate. Second the alinement of the auger and the burn pot are not quite perfect so that the top plate has a slight interference with the auger opening. I removed some of the metal on the top plate so that I could see clearly into the auger chamber and the stove works fine with the larger pellets.

That stove almost always does that... I usually tap plate in gently with my channel locks to get it to seat better. Definitely replace flame guide.