Fixing Leaky Boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
So I have a pair of Rocky Cornstalkers that I really like hunting in but they recently started leaking around the soles. They are to old to send back but they are still in good shape otherwise. Any suggestions?

I realize this may not help your particular problem but.....

As a teenager I had a cheap set of rough grain leather work boots that got all spattered up with black top sealer. When I was done coating my parents driveway I finished coating my boots to "even" them out. That stuff was impervious to everything. It was like spray on bed liner, LOL. I think Mom tossed them out after I left home to join the Navy.

After 10 years in the Navy, I have no desire to ever use black Kiwi boot polish again.

My last 20 years has been working at a trash to energy power plant. Boiler ash is low pH. Fly ash is high pH, due to the lime we treat the exhaust with to remove acid gases. Fly ash is like wood stove ash. Any amount of water added to it turn it into a nasty sloppy mud. The ash DESTROYS boot leather. I wash my boots off every time I leave the plant and enter office spaces. Frequent coatings of Mink oil help, but the application process is so similar to black Kiwi boot polish that I was suffering from nightmare flashbacks.

When my boots are clean and dry, I hit them with a liberal coat of vegetable oil spray (Pam, spray butter, etc). It's quick, cheap, and soaks into the leather and stitching and provides a very effective daily waterproofing. A quick rinse with a hose and all of the muddy ash slop rinses right off. My co-workers caution me to not stand in one place too long for fear that the rats will attack me to eat my "bacon grease". We have rats that are larger than most squirrels.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I have fixed a 100 different things with Aquaseal by GearAid, including work and wading boots. It's made for repairing waterproof materials. I used it on an old pair of waders long ago and was impressed with not only how watertight the repair was, but also it's bonding strength and durability (dries to a hard, but flexible rubber feel). I repaired a hole punched by a falling split in my wood boots 3 years ago, no issues and even better than new imo. I buy it by the big 10-12oz tube on amazon and use it all the time.
1571335186849.png

Reactions: Woody5506
HA! As a matter of fact I've probably used those waders close to where you live!!

I picked up some shoe goo boot and glove because I saw it while out. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I will just cover everything with the aquaseal.

I picked up some shoe goo boot and glove because I saw it while out. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I will just cover everything with the aquaseal.

Not familiar with the boot and glove product. I just used the original to splice the ends of a serpentine belt on my metal lathe. VERY tenacious stuff.

I have fixed a 100 different things with Aquaseal by GearAid, including work and wading boots. It's made for repairing waterproof materials. I used it on an old pair of waders long ago and was impressed with not only how watertight the repair was, but also it's bonding strength and durability (dries to a hard, but flexible rubber feel). I repaired a hole punched by a falling split in my wood boots 3 years ago, no issues and even better than new imo. I buy it by the big 10-12oz tube on amazon and use it all the time.
View attachment 249469

I may be wrong here, but I think my Orvis waders I bought some years ago came with a tube of aqua seal. I recall using it once or twice with great results. Doesn't the stuff dry almost instantly?

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
The specialty product for sealing the sole to leather seam is Welt Seal http://www.atsko.com/welt-seal-facts/. I haven't used it in years but it was very effective on clean boots. Not sure if they could still make it as the solvents used were very potent (lots of toluene). Definitely a product to be used in well ventilated space like a garage with no open flames.

Barge Cement seems to be quite similar. A friend I was hiking the AT with had the back of his sole peel off his boot one day. We cleaned it up as best we could and dried it well them borrowed some barge cement from another hiker and it held for the rest of the hike and year after.

Reactions: MrWhoopee
So I have a pair of Rocky Cornstalkers that I really like hunting in but they recently started leaking around the soles. They are to old to send back but they are still in good shape otherwise. Any suggestions?

+2 on the shoe goo

Doesn't the stuff dry almost instantly?

It can if you use the accelerator, but i normally just use it without. Sometimes you have to rotate items to get even coverage.