Fishing for ideas.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
I'm fishing for ideas. I would like to work for myself. I live in a very rural area and I'm unemployed. My first thought was to sell firewood. Doing the math, I found that it wouldn't work out so well. I would have to move huge volumes of wood. My 100 acre woodlot couldn't sustain 10 cords of firewood each month. I doubt I could sell 10 cords a month without some major advertising. I doubt there would ever come a time, even in the dead of winter, that I could sell enough wood to meet my goal of 20k per year. I would have to hire help, lease woodlots, invest in vehicles, saws, and other equipment. I'm looking for an initial investment of around $1000. I have thought about buying a wood splitter and splitting other peoples wood for a profit, but looking at the "market", I doubt anyone would pay to have their wood split around here. I don't want to work an everyday 9-5 job, there aren't many jobs around here anyways hence the above "very rural" area. If anyone has any ideas what I might could do to meet my goal of 20k per year gross, with an initial investment of $1000, lets hear it!. I'm not afraid of hard work whatsoever, but my body is getting older and I'm much slower than I was when I was in my 20's... I guess if it were very easy, everyone would be working for themselves huh? I have 100 acre woodlot, previously logged of the large timber, just don't know what I could do with it to earn some $$.

Selling wood is a hobby, not a job. Do that for the winter months and extra cash. During the rest of your time, do you have any other skills?

Fishing guide in the summer, lumberjack in the winter. That's what a lot of folks up north Wisconsin do.

I am definitely not advocating it but sadly one option folks do is go on disability. My local mill in a rural area shut down "due to "NAFTA" and after the extended federal benefits ran out, plenty of shysters appeared offering to help folks get disability benefits. There is a whole list of various diagnosis's that are hard to prove. There is no test yet for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I have met several folks who used it to claim. Most of them were denied the first claim and then hired a firm to do the second claim and got it. Most are perfectly healthy and many work under the table and drive nice cars and trucks. The sad part is the SSI checks are not much more then welfare and when someone really has to live on them its tough. Once they get it there doesn't appear to be any enforcement if they are healthy enough to work they just need to work under the table.

If someone needs or wants background

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/490/trends-with-benefits

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html

Sorry for the rant :)

I am definitely not advocating it but sadly one option folks do is go on disability. My local mill in a rural area shut down "due to "NAFTA" and after the extended federal benefits ran out, plenty of shysters appeared offering to help folks get disability benefits. There is a whole list of various diagnosis's that are hard to prove. There is no test yet for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I have met several folks who used it to claim. Most of them were denied the first claim and then hired a firm to do the second claim and got it. Most are perfectly healthy and many work under the table and drive nice cars and trucks. The sad part is the SSI checks are not much more then welfare and when someone really has to live on them its tough. Once they get it there doesn't appear to be any enforcement if they are healthy enough to work they just need to work under the table.

If someone needs or wants background

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/490/trends-with-benefits

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html

Sorry for the rant :)

Sadly indeed. I think if I did something like that I'd die from the depression and shame of being a worthless drain on my family, neighbors, and friends. I don't think you get to say anything about taxes or government once you "give up" and go on welfare. At least this guy's willing to work like a good honest American male.

Can you paint? If you have the skills to be fast and neat, you should be able to start a business and make a living. Advertise on Home advisor or angies list. Just do interior. IMO its impossible to make a living doing any outside work.

I have a lot of skills. Atv repair, auto repair, auto painting and body work, construction, list just goes on and on. I used to make an extra 300-400 bucks replacing floors in rotted out mobile homes. Plumbing, heating and air, etc. but thats pretty much dried up. Most people around here want you to work for nothing. I can landscape.. again, list goes on and on what im good at doing. Here in southern WV, there is not much going on especially since this is the epicenter of the opoid crisis and there are certain places that people tend to live in shacks and starve with no heat. They won't pay for any work. I thought about the disability route as im aware of the shysters that can pretty much get you anything. I'm not above that route, but im not starving and not in desperate need of cash or income and I would rather start a business that would net me more than what disability would. I think at this point I'll just be a general handyman, mechanic, painter, ditch digger, merchant, etc. and make what I can make here and there. It would be hard for someone on the "outside" to recommend something when they have no idea of the economics of this location, and what this area has to offer. Everything I know that would work, would require loads more cash that I have to invest. An auto repair place, heating and cooling (although I would have to get my licence) and open a shop.. etc... I dunno... I figured I would throw it out there and see what everyone might come up with. Hard to start a business on 1k cash lol. Maybe I should play the lottery more :)

Get a CDL. Get a job as an over the road truck driver. Lots of openings. Pay between $40K to $65K.

I am an expert log builder here in the NC mountains, couldn't get any work so 8 years ago got my CDL and went on the road.

Boy I realize you are tied to your home state but darn you would be in big demand up in my area (or most of Northern New England). The unemployment rate is so low that jobs are going wanting. Take a look at the classifieds in the back of the local paper.
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e7-97a4-6be1adaf4869/5cca2955e02b2.pdf.pdf or search for the ConwayDailySun.com.

That area is a 4 season resort area. Luckily there is less expensive housing north of there in my area. Some folks just work starting in late May and leave in mid October and head south before the snow flies. No sales or income tax. Some folks just live in campers in campgrounds for the season. There is winter work at the ski areas but its cold beyond anything someone from down south could envision.

nah.. no cdl's or out of state for me... reason im here is the low population. My anxiety won't tolerate crowds whatsoever... I have probs even going to the grocery store... and I won't leave my wife and kids to drive over the road.. they need me here.. they would freeze to death..

Reactions: GadDummit
Boy I realize you are tied to your home state but darn you would be in big demand up in my area (or most of Northern New England). The unemployment rate is so low that jobs are going wanting. Take a look at the classifieds in the back of the local paper.
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e7-97a4-6be1adaf4869/5cca2955e02b2.pdf.pdf or search for the ConwayDailySun.com.

That area is a 4 season resort area. Luckily there is less expensive housing north of there in my area. Some folks just work starting in late May and leave in mid October and head south before the snow flies. No sales or income tax. Some folks just live in campers in campgrounds for the season. There is winter work at the ski areas but its cold beyond anything someone from down south could envision.

Southern WV is a lot more like New England than you would think, but it's nothing like the green mountains (or is the white mountains where you are?). Your advice to leave is probably the best advice. Rural WV is like Washington County Maine, probably even worse. The dying coal industry wrecked WV. I lived in Bluefield many years ago.

Try Moon Shine illegal but profitable
UP here we are aloud to make for our own consumption
it's illegal to sell

nah.. no cdl's or out of state for me... reason im here is the low population. My anxiety won't tolerate crowds whatsoever... I have probs even going to the grocery store... and I won't leave my wife and kids to drive over the road.. they need me here.. they would freeze to death..

We considered WV before we picked Maine, but the employment prospects are terrifying. Don't take this the wrong way, but consider nursing. I bet the state would subsidize your tuition costing you very little. People aren't getting any younger and there are many that need care. If my immune system weren't wrecked I would be doing that myself right now.

I have a lot of skills. Atv repair, auto repair, auto painting and body work, construction, list just goes on and on. I used to make an extra 300-400 bucks replacing floors in rotted out mobile homes. Plumbing, heating and air, etc. but thats pretty much dried up. Most people around here want you to work for nothing. I can landscape.. again, list goes on and on what im good at doing. Here in southern WV, there is not much going on especially since this is the epicenter of the opoid crisis and there are certain places that people tend to live in shacks and starve with no heat. They won't pay for any work. I thought about the disability route as im aware of the shysters that can pretty much get you anything. I'm not above that route, but im not starving and not in desperate need of cash or income and I would rather start a business that would net me more than what disability would. I think at this point I'll just be a general handyman, mechanic, painter, ditch digger, merchant, etc. and make what I can make here and there. It would be hard for someone on the "outside" to recommend something when they have no idea of the economics of this location, and what this area has to offer. Everything I know that would work, would require loads more cash that I have to invest. An auto repair place, heating and cooling (although I would have to get my licence) and open a shop.. etc... I dunno... I figured I would throw it out there and see what everyone might come up with. Hard to start a business on 1k cash lol. Maybe I should play the lottery more :)

Lottery is just a waste of money when you're broke. Please don't go that route. I like the idea of a general handyman. We have several here and they make decent money. Spend 40 bucks on a magnetic sign for the side of the truck and go get 'em.

All those crack heads leave horrible messes in houses when they move, and they generally move once every few months so getting in good with one of the rental companies would have you drowning in work. You can have business cards printed up online for another $25.00 to hand out too.

Building up clientele would take a while, unless you got a rental company or apartment complex on board quickly, but it's something different every day and should keep your anxiety to a minimum since interactions will be one-on-one in most instances with someone that's paying you.

I was a general handyman in a large apartment building in NC.... The owner sold the building to a guy from Ukraine. He was in the business of buying properties cheap, getting a huge insurance policy, and hiring someone to burn it down. I have no proof of this, but I know what happened as did many other tenants. Over 100 people were homeless, and I was out of work after the fire. Having no money saved up, and nowhere to go, I decided to come back to my own land here in WV where nobody could run me off, or make me pay rent. I can live here for free, with free wood to cut and free sparkling spring water minus the electric bill and property taxes which are only couple hundred bucks a year. There is still a few strip mines going in the state, but you basically have to know somebody. Most locals here work for companies that are subcontracted to fix power lines and poles after tornadoes and hurricanes. They may be in Pennsylvania today, Florida tomorrow, but usually home every weekend. There are jobs here, but we usually have the highest unemployment rate in the country. I don't currently need a full time job, but I could use some extra cash to fund my hobbies. I'm due a new ATV and a new chainsaw, etc. I could sell pills like everyone else but I'm not going the selling drugs route as I have already seen too much of the local jail for assault. I'm sorry I do tend to get violent when somebody messes with my kids etc. long story short. I don't need any drug charges. It sure would be nice though, to have a hobby that you could earn 5 or 6 hundred bucks every month or so. Yes the Lottery isn't the way to go, I know the odds. I was being funny/sarcastic. I do dig herbs and sell them to the local herb buyer. I earn extra cash there, and I recycle copper and aluminum cans on a regular basis. I drove 28 miles one way and got 80 bucks for 12lbs of cans and 32 lbs of copper. Not too bad for 1/2 days work. I wouldn't have had that if not for a friend giving it to me out of an old trailer he was demolishing. I like cutting wood, its enjoyable compared to working around people. I cut wood my way and don't have any bosses. I love the freedom the outdoors bring, now how to make money off it.. humm...

With 100 acre woods have you thought of digging roots like blood root, yellow root, ginseng , wild turnips and so on. Hunting mushrooms they sell here for 60+ a pound. Growing ginseng to sell, takes 4-7 years to get good sellable woods roots. Main thing on roots if you dry them make sure you know how to clean and dry them right. Selling bark from certain type of trees and many more. The last time I did all of the above and not full time was over 14,000.00 one year and this was just part time. If I was in the woods 5 days a week could have maybe 4 x that amount. Get ahold of tree trimmers and ask if they need a place to dump not just the junk but good with the bad. Start asking around now by finding out how many people would buy wood and so on and at what price.

Have you got any land that is open like pasture, garden area or so on? Get some bees- sell honey. Sell strawberries to stores. Sell veggies at farm markets and to stores. If you have 1 acre you can sell what you need to get by, then above for extra. One thing at a time and it will come together.

i have a garden spot.. but we are overloaded with deer which like to eat just about any crop you plant. To make any money farming you would need a tractor and that alone is well over 1000 bucks. Few of my neighbors grow corn and hay...never had much of a green thumb myself. I tried bees and I guess I never got the hang of it. My queen would die and all the bees would leave. One year the queen and all the bees died in the hive, I think they collected pollen from a location freshly sprayed with insecticide or something. I like honey though!!!... nice ideas from all tho.. The hatfield/mccoy trails are open and booming.. might post an ad for atv repair. The shops want 65 bucks per hour labor... I'll charge 50 and see if I get any hits. Something like that might work, but a no name person with a shack for a shop? Probably think i would be shady and go to the honda shop anyways.

Apply for every state, city/town job you can economically travel to. Most will offer retirement as well after vesting, WV may not go that far.

What species of trees do you have? You can invest a little money into some tools and make rough log/ wood furniture and charge a good bit of money for it. Advertise online what you make and find a few lea markets, shows, etc to go to a year and sell what you have made that year. If you sell where people with a little money have vacation homes/ have a little bit of money, you could make as much as you want. You might even find a few stores that like your stuff in great locations that will buy from you and mark up for their own sale. You both get some money and you didn't have to deal with people. live edge wood slabs, depending on the species, have become very popular. Find a buyer/ distributor or sell yourself.

Along a similar line, I know in rural areas like yours, there are plenty of old buildings. Tear them down for the materials, build with those materials or sell the materials outright, and split profits with the buildings owner.

Just options with little investment required.

i have a garden spot.. but we are overloaded with deer which like to eat just about any crop you plant. To make any money farming you would need a tractor and that alone is well over 1000 bucks. Few of my neighbors grow corn and hay...never had much of a green thumb myself. I tried bees and I guess I never got the hang of it. My queen would die and all the bees would leave. One year the queen and all the bees died in the hive, I think they collected pollen from a location freshly sprayed with insecticide or something. I like honey though!!!... nice ideas from all tho.. The hatfield/mccoy trails are open and booming.. might post an ad for atv repair. The shops want 65 bucks per hour labor... I'll charge 50 and see if I get any hits. Something like that might work, but a no name person with a shack for a shop? Probably think i would be shady and go to the honda shop anyways.

Ok brother, sounds like you really like working on ATVs so take that route. It's seasonal, and with a shack building you have to cut rates to the bone ($40/hour with most problems fixed in 2 hours?) but capitalize on that.

Retired ATV mechanic has too much free time! Get your ATV checked or repaired for only $40/hr!
  • Winterization
  • Spring readiness exam
  • Pre-trail readiness checks
  • Fuel system purging
  • Radiator descaling
  • Plow maintenance and inspection
  • And so much more!
Bring your ATV out to the Shack Shop! Most repairs done inside of 2 hours! Call today! (Phone number)

That should get you some calls, just remember that you're a tad violent and from experience I can tell you that most regular folks will pick up on that when they're meeting you for the first time. Smile a LOT, joke about how bored you are being retired and how much you love working on the mechanics of an ATV, how it all fits together. Shake hands firmly without being a rock crusher. Be overly friendly or you'll only see some customers once. I know that's tough when you've got a touch of sociophobia, but practice on your friends and family if you need to.

Writing a script for meeting new people also helps. You don't have to stick to it 100% (they may have off-book questions) but it will give you a guideline to go off of. Remember that you'll have conflicts too. It's unavoidable. Just stick to the adage "the customer is always right" - even when they're not. If you make them feel smart or good they'll come back. People are defenseless sheep. Treat them that way, with kid gloves.

Any local places that do short-haul? My dad and brother are owner/operator truckers but also have other business ventures that keep them from driving all the time. They are all short-haul, leave in the morning, back by afternoon. Sometimes they'll leave at 5 am, get to where they're picking up their load right at open, and they're home and unloaded by lunch time.

But they would really like to find somebody with a CDL that could do that for them so they can focus on their other business ventures. Problem is, they don't have enough work to keep the trucks running 40+ hrs a week so the only people they can find are non-serious, non-experience truckers just looking for a little side-money, and they're not willing to put somebody like that into their expensive rigs.

Reactions: TreePointer
Do you have a truck, tools, and/or a trailer? Perhaps you could be a mobile mechanic or pick up people's stuff and bring it home to work on it. I have often thought about this.

Reactions: GadDummit