Fisher FP insert: faceplate, to install or not in heatilator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vt-new-fp

Feb 18, 2018
VT
Hi all, I have a Fisher fp insert wood stove. I have it in a fireplace that has a heatilator. Last year was my first year using it and it worked great. The stove came with a faceplate and side "wings" that are supposed to be used to seal the insert into the fireplace. I believe that in masonry fireplaces, this keeps the heat in the room and not going up the chimney.

My fireplace is a heatilator and the size of the opening is larger than the faceplate (and side wings). So I have two options (maybe more, but I see two) -- one is to take the faceplate stuff off and just let the heatilator reflect heat into the room. The other is to get a welder to enlarge the faceplate stuff so that it covers the opening to seal it (I know a welder who can do this).

Which would maximize the heat in the room? Thanks!

Hi all, I have a Fisher fp insert wood stove. I have it in a fireplace that has a heatilator. Last year was my first year using it and it worked great. The stove came with a faceplate and side "wings" that are supposed to be used to seal the insert into the fireplace. I believe that in masonry fireplaces, this keeps the heat in the room and not going up the chimney.

My fireplace is a heatilator and the size of the opening is larger than the faceplate (and side wings). So I have two options (maybe more, but I see two) -- one is to take the faceplate stuff off and just let the heatilator reflect heat into the room. The other is to get a welder to enlarge the faceplate stuff so that it covers the opening to seal it (I know a welder who can do this).

Which would maximize the heat in the room? Thanks!
First off do you have an insulated liner hooked to the insert and running out the top of the chimney? If so you should also make a plate to cover the space around the liner as it goes through the old damper area. After you do that the surround if purely decorative so you can do whatever you want.

I am not qualified to answer your questions, but welcome to the forum!

First off do you have an insulated liner hooked to the insert and running out the top of the chimney? If so you should also make a plate to cover the space around the liner as it goes through the old damper area. After you do that the surround if purely decorative so you can do whatever you want.
Yes, it's all sealed there - my question is about the surround, which is steel vs the heatilator walls -- which would radiate more heat into the room.

Do you have the optional blower that uses the bottom intake or side intakes? Either install should use a blower that moves air from under Insert, to up the back, and out the top at front to remove heat from around vent pipe from firebox through air chamber. This is where the blower extracts most of the heat using convection. Make sure the front half is exposed in the room using radiant heat, also exposing the cooktop. There should be a deflector across top air outlet that uses the bolt holes across top of outlet.