First Power Outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Had our first snowstorm today. With it, lost power for 8-hours. Of course I had just loaded the Tarm and it was gasifying.
I manually opened all the zone valves on my heating system. The auto-mag opened. My entire house stayed at about 73* all day. Gravity circulation throughout the entire house. The Tarm's fan of course shut down and the fire went dormant.
Never a problem. Actually the heat was beautiful. Even throughout the house, the wood boiler didn't even threaten to overheat.
My 500 gallon propane tank lost about 25 degrees.
I'm glad I had this experience. I didn't know what to expect. Now I know there is nothing to worry about.

Jeez, I'm a recovering Jerseyan (almost but not quite a "Pine-y", if you know what that is) gone way north to get away from the emanating blobs of Manhattan and Philly yuppies who arrived to discover and then wreck the places that they moved to ( and who is trying, very hard, not to perpetrate the same on the place that I moved to )

and we didn't have snow yet, let alone power outages!

Picked up about 5" of wet, heavy snow. I walked in the woods and the limbs were snapping like toothpicks. Lost alot of trees. Deer were running all over spooked, snorting. It was some day. I heard high point got 14"

chuck172 said:
Picked up about 5" of wet, heavy snow. I walked in the woods and the limbs were snapping like toothpicks. Lost alot of trees. Deer were running all over spooked, snorting. It was some day. I heard high point got 14"

Chuck - Tobyhanna PA got 16". I live in Reeders, just south of Tannersville and got zip. Nothing. Half of our school district isup on the Pocono Plateau, so the kids got a day off from school because half the district had a blizzard. Crazy.

Happy Halloween!

Status
Not open for further replies.