First King, 4th Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill in the U.P.

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2016
Michigan
Woo hoo. First post in many years. Picked up the new King last weekend. We just bought a new home with a 23 ft. cathedral ceiling. Perfect to try out a King. I've had 3 prior BK Sirocco's. I will have to offset my double wall black pipe 13" as it enters the Class A at the top to miss my first parallel cord ceiling truss. Called Jeff at Rockford for a quote on the pipe, flashing and materials. We have about 17 face cord of dry hardwood (mostly maple) to move to the new house. The talk is of a long winter with lots of snow. With the King keeping us warm I say let it come.

Bill in the U.P. (Skandia)

Reactions: kennyp2339
Good Stove. I had King for 7 years. Replaced with Harmon XXV pellet stove after screwing up my Shoulder (1/2 Torn Muscle and Rotator Cuff). Always nice to see that glow from the Stove. All I had was Pine (WA State). Still load up at 8pm and good until 5am or longer. Put out lots of heat.

Attachments

• First King, 4th Blaze King
    DSCN1350.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 143
Good Stove. I had King for 7 years. Replaced with Harmon XXV pellet stove after screwing up my Shoulder (1/2 Torn Muscle and Rotator Cuff). Always nice to see that glow from the Stove. All I had was Pine (WA State). Still load up at 8pm and good until 5am or longer. Put out lots of heat.
Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. How do you like the pellet stove? I hope the King will do it for us.. There is 210 sq ft of windows/patio doors on the 23' tall wall overlooking the river. 2 x 6 wills with fiberglass.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. How do you like the pellet stove? I hope the King will do it for us.. There is 210 sq ft of windows/patio doors on the 23' tall wall overlooking the river. 2 x 6 wills with fiberglass.
It's nice. Keeps up with Temps just fine. Got down to -10f. On 3rd Winter this Season. 3.5" tons adverage burned. Very easy to load the stove. On BK King I would try to rush it and let some smoke into the room. Ok lots of smoke into the room sometimes. I can handle the 40lb bags lots easier than wood. No Bugs come in now with Wood. No Debri Falling Off (moss and wood fibers). Downside is $800 plus tax and $40 delivery. Buy if I bought wood it was about the same. Only bought wood 1st Winter.

Less dust in the house by far. Cleaning is less frequent and easier too. I scrape it daily with scrapper and wipe the glass with newspaper. Done until 1 Ton Cleaning. I keep log of bags I use. I normally do it early (retired). Go find some place in our forest and dump the ashes. Gone by Spring. With BK I had some charcoal in the ash. Pellet stove made life easier. But.....

I do miss my log splinter. Best tool I ever bought for labor savings. I do still some trees. I have one now to do, but too dry. End up with at least 1 cord to give away from trees that snap into or such. Windstorm other day got one. Like pencil being snapped in two.

Tomorrow I go order pellets. 2 tons since I have 2 Tons sitting from last year. Will stack about 1/2 ton on back porch and cover with tarp. With wood It was harder to bring in by far.

Big Downside. I spent $6k at least. $3500 for Floor Model Stove. $1200 install. $800 Inverter and two 100ah batteries (12 run time if we lose power). With Wood stove I would have heat regardless. Longest power outage has been 8 hours in 9 years. Most are lots shorter. In Wind Storm we did not lose power at all, but Internet off for 6 hours (Fiber Optics).

I sold the BK King (from 1991) for $400. Threw in Wood Hoop and some pipe. Catalyst had 2 more years left in it. If I get too old for Pellets then Propane Stove. I sure hope not!

Reactions: Bill in the U.P.
I have a completely opposite opinion of pellets. Way more cleaning and maintenance. Don't like the noise or cost of pellets. They need power to work. Lots of parts to break. I will never own another pellet stove and really wish I could stop maintaining them for others. I have switched to propane everywhere but the house. And it is cheaper than pellets with almost no work.

Last edited:
It maybe off topic but i believe a wood stove (free stander or insert) and a propane/NG unit on the opposite side of the house or different floor is a way to go. The propane/ng can carry the heat load (to a point) if you dont feel like loading the wood, feel under the weather or away.

It maybe off topic but i believe a wood stove (free stander or insert) and a propane/NG unit on the opposite side of the house or different floor is a way to go. The propane/ng can carry the heat load (to a point) if you dont feel like loading the wood, feel under the weather or away.
I just put in a propane insert that I pulled out for a customer. I haven't used it yet but I think it will be a good addition

Reactions: Diabel
I pulled the pellet stove 14 yrs ago, but I can understand the rationale. It is pretty predictable and I liked having it hooked up to a digital thermostat to heat things up before we woke up. The downsides were that my wife couldn't handle a 40lb sack of pellets, all the plastic waste that those bags created, and the noise. Our stove was reasonably low maintenance which I liked, but the electronics seemed a bit fragile as compared to a furnace. It was replaced with a heat pump and wood stove which solved all issues, but I am getting older too. The next step will likely be replacement of the current heatpump with a super high-efficiency unit, but that hopefully is a decade away. I still like burning wood and the T6 is very low maintenance. As long as the woodbox on the porch is full, it's also easy for my wife to operate.

Reactions: Mech e
I have a princess free standing stove, neighbor has a pellet, a little noisy but still throws off some good heat (rivals my stove to be honest) It works great for them, not for me, to each his own on that preference.
I'm still a firm believer that BK's like burning soft wood, I passed a cord of pine through mine and it was enjoyable, maple & ash seem like the best hardwood to me for the princess. I have tons of red & white oak that I will mix in my stacks, but I dont see any real performance enhancement due to my loading schedule, house temp stays the same regardless of what I use to, its also good to know because the ash tree's are starting to die off here in noticeable numbers, had a fresh ash, still with a full canopy leaves loose a large stem, under the back were all the signs of the borer beetle, so its here to stay.

Congrats on the new King, you could probably fit my little stove inside that thing. I see your from Skandia, I lived there in the mid 90's while serving in the Coast Guard. I miss that area around Marquette but not the snow.

Woo hoo. First post in many years. Picked up the new King last weekend. We just bought a new home with a 23 ft. cathedral ceiling. Perfect to try out a King. I've had 3 prior BK Sirocco's. I will have to offset my double wall black pipe 13" as it enters the Class A at the top to miss my first parallel cord ceiling truss. Called Jeff at Rockford for a quote on the pipe, flashing and materials. We have about 17 face cord of dry hardwood (mostly maple) to move to the new house. The talk is of a long winter with lots of snow. With the King keeping us warm I say let it come.

Bill in the U.P. (Skandia)

Looking forward to the pictures. 3 30 boxes and now a king! Some big bucks. I think you’ll like the king much better. That ash belly, the long burn capacity, more elbow room for loading.