First full fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MJSullivan56

Nov 10, 2022
Boston MA
Just got inspected yesterday. Our first “full” fire (600+ degrees measured using a laser thermometer). Other than some initial downdraft smoke when starting the fire I’m a happy camper. Installers did a great job.

First full fire

Reactions: Vg3200p and NickW
Just got inspected yesterday. Our first “full” fire (600+ degrees measured using a laser thermometer). Other than some initial downdraft smoke when starting the fire I’m a happy camper. Installers did a great job.

View attachment 306978
Do you have to do smaller break in fires?

Looks great and nice fire.

Did the inspector say anything about needed 16" of hearth protection in front of the stove door?

Looks great and nice fire.

Did the inspector say anything about needed 16" of hearth protection in front of the stove door?
While required here in Massachusetts he made no mention whatsoever. Overall, I found the inspection mostly perfunctory. FWIW, my installation is completely to code.

Congrats on your insert looks nice

What kind of wood you burning for first big fire?
Not sure. Purchased from a farm stand. Definitely was well-seasoned as the logs are lightweight and uniformly grey. Next year I'll be burning sugar maple as I just split a cord of a tree recently felled on our property.