first fire!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Traveler004

Sep 18, 2019
Quebec
ok well second fire. the first was really just smoke. but now that I figured out the whole draft thing and got it working. so happy I didn't burn my house down!!
there is a ton of info out there on how to get a ripping fire going but nothing really about what to do at the end of your burn. do you just let it die out. should you help it die at a certain point. kill it. I just let it go to embers and die but the temp went way down into the creosote area. and the embers burned for a long while.

ok well second fire. the first was really just smoke. but now that I figured out the whole draft thing and got it working. so happy I didn't burn my house down!!
there is a ton of info out there on how to get a ripping fire going but nothing really about what to do at the end of your burn. do you just let it die out. should you help it die at a certain point. kill it. I just let it go to embers and die but the temp went way down into the creosote area. and the embers burned for a long while.
Congrats on the first burn.
As for the coals, it all depends on what you want to do next...continue burning or not. Personally, if I am going to continue to burn, I rake the coals forward, let them burn down some and then reload to start the fun again.
You should also think about including your stove in your 'signature' on here. Might end up getting some more specific advice to your stove.

Reactions: Traveler004

Bonjour!

Depends . . . if it's cold and you want more heat you can reload the stove. I open up the air control and put on some kindling or small splits (depending on the size and amount of coals -- more and larger coals = smaller splits, smaller and less plentiful coals = kindling.)

If it's a warm day or I'm just a tad bit warm I'll let the stove die out or coal a bit longer. For example, today was pretty warm here in Maine with temps close to 50 so I let the coals die down to almost nothing before reloading.

Once you're in the coal stage creosote is not as big a deal . . .

Jake's last line says it all, "Once you're in the coal stage creosote is not as big a deal"

Creosote is sign that the wood is still giving off volatile but condesible gases, once you get coals everything is boiled off and all you have is carbon and some ash. When the carbon burns it doesnt give off creosote.

Realize that although the fire is out, the stack is still warm and pumping hot air out the stack that is being replaced with cold air. Once the fire is out, its worth closing the air dampers so the draft slows down quicker.

Last edited: