First cleaning of the year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I could've put one more length on the sooteater but I was already on the roof with micro spikes on. The top looked to be really clean so I did quick clean down. Maybe a 1/4 cup. Here is a picture looking up. Very white soft ash. This is all over the top of the inside of my stove too. Assuming its normal and I don't need to worry about it? First cleaning of the year.First cleaning of the year.

Looks good to me! But it really depends how much you've run through the stove.

Micro spikes dont sound like they'd be good for the roof. Can you clean next time from the bottom?

I only stayed on the snow portion and I live in a ranch. I couldn't get the sooteater bent up enough around my secondary air tube. I climbed up first with just boots and climbed right back down. Big nope. Felt very safe with the spikes. My roof isn't all that steep either.

With what I thinking I'm seeing your good for once a year cleaning. I do mine in the fall, just before the first burn. No snow, nor wet and not soft.

I'm thinking I may be at that point. My first 2 years I had some so so wood. It keeps getting better. I won't do it again till I'm done for the season.

I always do my last cleaning in the spring after the burning season. That way if something is found to be wrong, I have plenty of time to get it resolved before fall.

I only stayed on the snow portion and I live in a ranch. I couldn't get the sooteater bent up enough around my secondary air tube. I climbed up first with just boots and climbed right back down. Big nope. Felt very safe with the spikes. My roof isn't all that steep either.

The tubes in the Kodiak insert are pretty easily removable. The instructions are in the manual, but I think it basically just requires a little tap with a non-flat-head screwdriver. Glad you were safe and that your roof is easily accessible. Ours is way too high and steep at the chimney, so we use the sooteater from the bottom after removing the tubes.

It never hurts to clean more often but I think you can get away with a once a year cleaning even burning 24/7 if you use quality wood, good technique, have a good set up, and aren't burning a crazy amount like 5+ cords.

I'd say you should verify your methods with more frequent cleaning though before going to a less often plan. I burn 3-4 cords a year and did a mid season clean out this year to verify and there was hardly anything...just a little soot from fatwood.

Every set up and situation is different. When is doubt tho, clean!

Reactions: shortys7777
I'm thinking I may be at that point. My first 2 years I had some so so wood. It keeps getting better. I won't do it again till I'm done for the season.

I think your pipe looks petty good for mid February. Id still plan on cleaning twice a year. You have the soot eater so why not, its not costing you anything to do it and if you do have some issues and didn't know about it and did regular cleanings youll have cleaned the pipe anyway. I do a mid season and end of season cleaning. I do May because if there's an issue I have time to get it fixed before the next burning season.

Reactions: shortys7777