First cleaning FP30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tater1985

Jan 26, 2018
IN
Did my first chimney sweep after 2 months of pretty solid burning in my new PE FP30. I would say this is not quite a half cord of mostly elm, but some maple and walnut. All wood i gave split abd tested has been between 14% and 20.5%.

I was somewhat surprised about the amount of build up on my cap. But inside the top of the flue had pretty minimal creosote and appeared to only be right near the top, maybe last 1ft or so of flue pipe.

I would say overall i had about 1/2 or 2/3 cup of fly ash and creosote, which appeared to be mostly fly ash, see if you all agree. Does this seem good or alarmimg for 2 months of burning almost everyday?

I would appreciate any feedback on what you all see from my photos as far as suggestions on adjusting burn habits and such. I know you may have specific questions in order to make recommendations, so fire away and i will do my best.

Pics are
In firebox, first flue section, cap, top flue section, and total residue swept.

f6ae0bb21824c409e40a2c0345db3f1b.jpg 1bd61b44e1fa04a56abf1b1cb89c5f3e.jpg d53c31553e20bb3c9eb6c5b7b33ff96f.jpg ae50e44414426941364a8032439b0d00.jpg 6ce995b21483e005b6a67df813dc4410.jpg

2018 Pacific Energy FP30

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. The cap is the coldest point. Did you remember to stuff a rag in the baffle's secondary supply tube before sweeping?

Looks good. The cap is the coldest point. Did you remember to stuff a rag in the baffle's secondary supply tube before sweeping?
Sure didnt, dispite the fact i read that saydinli did the same darn thing! I need to rig up a piece of hose to tape to vac and clean it out. But we did have a fire last night and reloaded on coals this morning. Seems to be working alright, but i may still clean it out for piece of mind.

You feel this is a reasonable amount for 1/2 cord? Do you agree it is mostly fly ash?

2018 Pacific Energy FP30

Does this need to be done with all non cats?

Does this need to be done with all non cats?

I think its only with Pacific Energy and their removable baffle leaves the secondary air tube fully exposed to receive some the crap that comes down the flue when cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure didnt, dispite the fact i read that saydinli did the same darn thing! I need to rig up a piece of hose to tape to vac and clean it out. But we did have a fire last night and reloaded on coals this morning. Seems to be working alright, but i may still clean it out for piece of mind.

You feel this is a reasonable amount for 1/2 cord? Do you agree it is mostly fly ash?

2018 Pacific Energy FP30
Tisk tisk tisk, always stuff the channel opening with a rag, and you can also make a deflector to shed most of the sweeping onto the stove floor.

Attachments

• REAR CHANNEL CLEANOUT DEFLECTOR.jpg
    REAR CHANNEL CLEANOUT DEFLECTOR.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 132
Not bad. I get that amount some years burning 2-3 cords. This year has been really mild so the stove is not running as hot. I might get more even though we are burning less wood. We'll see.