Firewood ID help needed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColoradoJim

Jun 23, 2024
Colorado
Hey all, I'm new here and looking for some assistance in identifying some firewood that I was fortunate enough to obtain. I'm thinking maybe cottonwood or possibly ash, but really have no idea. I never got to see branches or leaves, it was all cut to 6 ft logs when I got to it. Thanks much!

Firewood ID help needed...Firewood ID help needed...Firewood ID help needed...Firewood ID help needed...

I have a hydraulic splitter, so it all split pretty easy. It is a little stringy, but the only time the splitter hesitated was if I was splitting a forked round.

I have a hydraulic splitter, so it all split pretty easy. It is a little stringy, but the only time the splitter hesitated was if I was splitting a forked round.
Ok for a second with the darker heart wood and stringy splits my mind wandered towards elm, but then again I have been going to war with some the whole summer so its sort of at the front of my mind.