Fireplace smell after insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

XD2005

Oct 4, 2019
Washington
My apologies if this has been asked. I did try some searching and was not able to locate this same scenario.

We own a 1967 home that has a fireplace which, as I understand, includes a Heatilator. We very recently had a Lopi Revere insert installed to help improve heating. What we have found is that the house now, on a regular basis, has a smokey/sooty smell coming from the fireplace. It is not from the insert (since we have not yet had a chance to use it).

Prior to the insert, when utilizing ventilation fans within the house, we would often get the same smell within the house, even with damper shut and glass doors closed. Before purchasing and installing the insert, we asked about the smell and were assured it would not be an issue.
My questions:
  • Is this temporary and likely to resolve in the coming days?
  • If not, what is the solution for fixing it? Not only are there small gaps around the metal surround, but during the install, the tubes for the Heatilator were cut to allow for the flue to pass through.
  • If a solution is to fill gaps, is it safe to block off the legacy Heatilator vents?
Thank you!

P.S. We know the hearth is not sufficient and are working on a hearth extension pad.

Attachments

• 20191021_145508_resized.jpg
    20191021_145508_resized.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 110
Outdoor temps are mild right now, so draft may improve. But the issue may be negative pressure in the fireplace room or it could even be the chimney location or height relative to the house roof, nearby trees or hillside.

What floor is the fireplace on? How tall is the chimney? Can you post an outdoor picture of the chimney?

That's fine. The chimney is on the short side. The Revere requires at least 15'. Did they put in an insulated liner?

Is there a hill behind the house?

Did they also clean the fireplace completely before the install?

They did put a liner, I assume insulated (the picture is pre-install). Yes, behind the house is a hill.

The fireplace was cleaned and, I believe, the chimney as well (per wife, I was stuck working for much of the install).

Typically in my experience a smoke smell in the house can happen when the barometric pressure lowers, often in advance of a storm or change in weather conditions. In my traditional fireplace, this would result in sinking air, or a sort of reverse draft that would carry down from the interior chimney some creosote odor.

Even though your chimney was cleaned, there will be some residual creosote on the original liner. This downward or reverse draft is the culprit. One way to isolate this smell is when you can sense or smell it, try opening a nearby window or door....give it some time...say 20 min or so and then see if it diminishes. Don't worry if you are letting cold air in, this is just a test, not a solution.

If the smell is predominate when the ventilation system is running, then again you are creating a reverse draft and pulling air down the chimney (even with the new liner since the old tile liner was not removed).

It will eventually go away as the residual creosote gets old and dries up or fades away. Correct in that it is not a fire hazard, but it is a quality of life issue. Unfortunately there is not much you can do at this time if the condition is from residual creosote. When you smell it, burn some candles to mask the odor. Blocking the heatilator ducts will do nothing. Sealing the gaps around the shroud will do nothing. Give it a week or so to settle down.

You would need to pull the surround off, but I have a few guesses...

1. They didnt clean the chimney correctly.
2. They cut the damper but didnt install a block off plate so negative house pressure is pulling air down the old chimney.
3. They didnt seal the top and the liner so you are getting more air from there as well.

They could have done a lot of other things as well. You need to pull the surround and take pics and take new pice of the top of the chimney setup.

Hell they might have just did a slammer install and they are very prone to smell in shoulder weather.

Last edited:
You would need to pull the surround off, but I have a few guesses...

1. They didnt clean the chimney correctly.
2. They cut the damper but didnt install a block off plate so negative house pressure is pulling air down the old chimney.
3. They didnt seal the top and the liner so you are getting more air from there as well.

They could have done a lot of other things as well. You need to pull the surround and take pics and take new pice of the top of the chimney setup.

Hell they might have just did a slammer install and they are very prone to smell in shoulder weather.

I know #2 (install block off plate) did not occur. Hopefully # 3 did. He did indicate the covers on the other two flues were deteriorating and should be replaced. Maybe that is contributing. I'll need to get up there and take a closer look at things to see about #3 and the other flue covers.

Last edited:
If it was happening before the insert was installed and you haven't used it I would assume it's the flue covers and your getting a reverse draft.

Can you take a picture or two of the current top while you are there? Adjacent flues of the same height can cause a problem. What are the other two flues for?

Is there a basement?