Fireplace Remodel and Gas Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNWLogger

Jun 3, 2024
Seattle
Folks,
I am hoping you can help me. I had an old Fireplace Xtrordinair unit that was removed with the intent that a Gas insert would be installed.

I have an installer that has looked at the opening as you can see in the pictures and says that a Gas insert should not be an issue since no combustibles in the area where the gas insert would be place. Then I have spoken to a couple of dealers in the Seattle area who are adamant that without firebricks a Gas insert cannot be installed and I need to either install a Zero clearance or get a masonary fireplace built before getting an insert installed. Can you please guide me as to if a Gas insert can be installed or not?

If not can I simply line the firebox with firebricks and would that make it ready for a Gas insert?

Fireplace Remodel and Gas InsertFireplace Remodel and Gas InsertFireplace Remodel and Gas InsertFireplace Remodel and Gas InsertFireplace Remodel and Gas Insert

Experts, any thoughts?
You need to check the requirements of the units. If it requires a functional wood-burning fireplace you are a long way from that. Nowhere near enough thickness of masonry there

You need to check the requirements of the units. If it requires a functional wood-burning fireplace you are a long way from that. Nowhere near enough thickness of masonry there
Thank you for replying to the post. Can you please provide some guidance as to what is needed to make it into a wood-burning fireplace? Is it simply the installation of firebricks and a damper or is there more?

Thank you for replying to the post. Can you please provide some guidance as to what is needed to make it into a wood-burning fireplace? Is it simply the installation of firebricks and a damper or is there more?
I can't possibly say from those pictures I would need to be on-site to see what is lacking. Or you could just find a gas unit that doesn't need a functioning fireplace