Fireplace recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arhuranna

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2010
Western Kansas
I'm putting an addition on my home that will have a 20x26 family room. I want to put a wood burning fireplace in and have looked at the Heat n Glo Exclaim 42. Would like feed back on this unit as well as recommendations on other brands. Thanks for the help!

Any reason to rule out the epa zc units? They will produce much more efficient heat and can still be aesthetically pleasing. They can be found found for nearly the same price as the exclaim. Some even offer tax credits. We are in the second year burning our osburn stratford and it provides both heat and viewing pleasure.

Any reason to rule out the epa zc units? They will produce much more efficient heat and can still be aesthetically pleasing. They can be found found for nearly the same price as the exclaim. Some even offer tax credits. We are in the second year burning our osburn stratford and it provides both heat and viewing pleasure.

Not going to use this as a main heat source, more for viewing pleasure. I like to hear a fire and poke it. Thanks for the info!

It can get chilly in Kansas. Maybe consider an EPA unit that has the option for open burning? A regular fireplace is going to suck more heat out of the house than it puts in.

Not going to use this as a main heat source, more for viewing pleasure. I like to hear a fire and poke it. Thanks for the info!

You may be surprised the sounds of a burning stove/insert are pleasing, but different than an open fire. You can actually see some pretty exciting, but different, light shows in a burning stove/insert. Poke it .... you could find something else to poke instead of the stove/insert ...

You will not need to cut, split, stack or purchase as much wood with a stove/insert and you will definitely conserve heat loss up the chimney and be a lot warmer.