Fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2019
Wellsboro, PA
For the last 45 years I’ve been heating my home with just wood in a freestanding woodstove. But we sold the farm and now live in a house with a fireplace and a modified Olix stove On the hearth. The chimney has an insulated flexible stainless liner. I’m thinking of cleaning things up a bit but I have no knowledge of fireplace inserts. How do I clean out the stuff that falls down when I brush the liner? Do I need to pull the insert out to get it? Do all inserts require a blower to deliver heat? Are there inserts rated to produce less than 1.5 grams per hour? There are no dealers within 50 miles/ one hour, so I’m asking questions here.
Thank you if you take the time to answer! With the present setup I need to move the stove to get to the clean out tee and I need help to move it.

There's a baffle on the top of the insert on the inside you remove before cleaning...the liner inlet is right there.....you'll get some radiant heat from the front of the insert but 20 times more with the blowers on.....i had to turn my blowers off for a while the other day...it was 92 in my livingroom.....i dont follow or care much about the grams per hour nonsense so i cant help you there....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For the last 45 years I’ve been heating my home with just wood in a freestanding woodstove. But we sold the farm and now live in a house with a fireplace and a modified Olix stove On the hearth. The chimney has an insulated flexible stainless liner. I’m thinking of cleaning things up a bit but I have no knowledge of fireplace inserts. How do I clean out the stuff that falls down when I brush the liner? Do I need to pull the insert out to get it? Do all inserts require a blower to deliver heat? Are there inserts rated to produce less than 1.5 grams per hour? There are no dealers within 50 miles/ one hour, so I’m asking questions here.
Thank you if you take the time to answer! With the present setup I need to move the stove to get to the clean out tee and I need help to move it.
It would help to know a bit more about the stove and how it is installed. Can you post a few pictures of it including a long shot of the entire fireplace and one of the upper inside of the stove's firebox?

Yes, there are some very clean burning wood stoves and inserts available. We need to see the fireplace and will need some dimensions before making any recommendations. What town or city would you likely be buying a stove from?

Depending on the model you move/remove the baffle (very easy) or open the bypass before sweeping. Everything from the liner falls into the insert.
Fireplace inserts