Fireplace Inserts: worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 18, 2013
NC
We're looking to replace an OLD VC stove. We are leaning toward another VC or a Jotul, But, one dealer we've talked with is really pushing fireplace inserts! We live in the country and are prone to losing power, whenever...would an insert STILL provide enough warmth to our house without a blower? Or is he just wanting to move unsold stock?
Who has an insert? Happy as a heat supplement when the power goes out?
Inquiring Minds "need" to know.
Thanks!

Inserts have less surface area to shed heat.
The more flush an insert.is the less heat you get when the power is out.

A freestanding stove is better for those situations.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have both. The insert is better for normal operations and the stove is/will be better when power goes out (it never has) but the stove still needs a blower in my setup during normal operation.

Thanks for your insights. I agree, surface area is important to genrate heat. I have only one chimmey and I'm feel a woodstove
offers the best heating solution.

Reactions: stoveliker
Thanks for your insights. I agree, surface area is important to genrate heat. I have only one chimmey and I'm feel a woodstove
offers the best heating solution.
For freestanding, can we assume that this installation will require a rear-vented stove setup? If so, one factor in determining the replacement may be the fireplace size and its lintel height. Can you provide these dimensions? A picture of the current setup will also help.

FWIW, my sister lives in rural NC and has an insert installed. It provides room heat during power outages, but not enough for the whole house. This is more a factor of the house floorplan and the fireplace location. She finally gave up and had a propane generator installed.

Reactions: EbS-P