Q&A Fireplace insert installation problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I purchased a used fireplace insert this weekend. To make a long story short, the taper of my fireplace is too narrow at the top to allow the insert to go all of the way back where it should be. the metal trim pieces that go around are about 3/4 of in inch away from the outside brick of the fireplace. Is there anything that I can put in to fill this gap? I bought the insert used, and don't want to even think about trying to carry this thing out of the house again.

Answer:

No problem... but lets go back and determine if it is properly installed. All inserts need to have a direct connection to the flue, which consists of a 5 foot (minimum) stainless steel flexible tube that passes thru the damper and a few feet up toward the flue. Many times, a sheet metal plate is fabricated at the damper area which seals off the room air from going up the chimney. A hole is cut for the tube.

In this case, the panels are just decorative, so it does not matter if they seal. If you are using them as a seal, then use fiberglass insulation (with the paper ripped off) to seal the panels against the opening.
NOTE: if possible it is often best to line the chimney all the way to the top using a stainless liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.