Fireplace can't be swept due to heatilator tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

curlygirl6

Oct 16, 2024
MD
Newbie here so thank you all for reading. Have a wood burning fireplace built around the mid 1990s. Rarely used, maybe once or twice a year. Never swept since it was an older woman's house and it was rarely used. Tried to have it swept now and was told it can't even be swept because of the heatilator tubes. Something about it not being up to code and he's legally not allowed to sweep it (there is no access door for the heatilator tubes was noted). Also told the size of the firebox is too big for the size of the liner in the chimney and was offered electric or wood inserts ranging from $3K to over $7K. If the fireplace will now be used regularly, we'd like to have it swept so its not a hazard. Is the not legally being able to sweep it thing true? Also, he said because of the size difference with the firebox, smoke probably comes into the house. When it was used, we didn't have smoke in the house that I ever remember. Would it not be noticeable or I was getting the hard sell from the chimney company to spend more money? I already paid a couple hundred dollars for this "advice" and I thought I'd ask here before I have to pay again for a second opinion.

Newbie here so thank you all for reading. Have a wood burning fireplace built around the mid 1990s. Rarely used, maybe once or twice a year. Never swept since it was an older woman's house and it was rarely used. Tried to have it swept now and was told it can't even be swept because of the heatilator tubes. Something about it not being up to code and he's legally not allowed to sweep it (there is no access door for the heatilator tubes was noted). Also told the size of the firebox is too big for the size of the liner in the chimney and was offered electric or wood inserts ranging from $3K to over $7K. If the fireplace will now be used regularly, we'd like to have it swept so its not a hazard. Is the not legally being able to sweep it thing true? Also, he said because of the size difference with the firebox, smoke probably comes into the house. When it was used, we didn't have smoke in the house that I ever remember. Would it not be noticeable or I was getting the hard sell from the chimney company to spend more money? I already paid a couple hundred dollars for this "advice" and I thought I'd ask here before I have to pay again for a second opinion.
They absolutely can be swept. A bit of a pain for sure but it can be done. We will need allot more info to be able to tell about a mismatched flue

Reactions: curlygirl6
They absolutely can be swept. A bit of a pain for sure but it can be done. We will need allot more info to be able to tell about a mismatched flue
bholler - thank you for your answer. I see you're in PA. I'm in MD. Sometimes if people are close to the MD/PA line, they work in both places. Not sure what part of PA you're in since PA is big, but wonder if you know reputable companies in MD that would you recommend?