Firebox glaze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Was poking around inside the new stove today since it was cool, due to a warm spell. I noticed in the back of the firebox, in between and around the firebricks, there is a small amount of glaze. I’m assuming this is creosote. I can brush most of it off, but it’s still kinda shiny. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I imagine that it will just burn off eventually, right?

Tough spot for pics but here’s a few I tried to take. This is after I brushed it. On the metal

Attachments

• Firebox glaze
    E7187E06-3AF3-45F7-B36C-20C709988AAD.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Firebox glaze
    0306B37C-1940-4D74-8377-A0BB66ADC3E1.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 108
It looks like creosote to me. I'm guessing if you have a hot fire it will burn off. Was your last fire a slower colder burn? Others will know better than I.

I don't think that's cause for concern. First pic looks like the secondary air supply so it's going to be a bit cooler than the fire box walls, and some condensation of creo will occur there. Same thing in the back above the bricks; There's more heat toward the front of the box where the secondary flames go toward, not as much on the back wall.