Fire Starters in a Vermont Castings Winterwarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dave Jenkins

Feb 1, 2012
Northwest Georgia
For some reason, I'm having more trouble starting fires in my Winterwarm this year than in all the previous 24 years we've used it. I have some StarterLogg brand fire starters. My wife says they will mess up the catalytic converter. Is this true?

I know that super cedar firestarters are the best ive used and they are safe for the converter. I use a 1/4 of a puck if i am cold starting the stove and they have never failed. You can order them from super cedar website and i believe if you enter the code "hearth 20" in your purchase order you get 40% off i believe. As for the starter logg brand i have never used and i cant see from their website any info regarding use with catalytic converters. Im sure somone who uses them will chime in.

I use 1/4 of a puck (sometimes two) every time I start a fire in my Winterwarm. No issues that I know of...

Are you using a whole starter log? If so there is a problem with your wood or stove. I use the match light starter sticks and only use 1/2 of one. If it's just the small starter the it will burn up before you close the bypass.

A few things could be a bit different than it was.
The draft is a big issue. everything from week draft, to the chimney cap being so plugged smoke is backing out the stove door. Keep the door cracked until the stove is rippin.
The wood, hard to light wet stuff.
The wood stack, A lot of log cabin stacking with open air space works.
And last but not least, is a brain fart, where you can't exactly remember how you were doing this last year.