Fire pit upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
After seeing all the nice fire pits, I'm upgrading mine a bit.
leveled with sand & put in some patio brick.
Next I liked the "key hole" design for a cooking grill. Plan to pull a few bricks & make it similar.
Burning some went junk to keep the bug away.
Eagle came by to inspect but the Arctic terns don't like inspectors :)

Fire pit upgradeFire pit upgradeFire pit upgradeFire pit upgrade

BD you'll love cooking on that pit. I love my keyhole pit. Looks great, keep us posted on your cooking adventures!

BD you'll love cooking on that pit. I love my keyhole pit. Looks great, keep us posted on your cooking adventures!
I've been taking some moose bratwurst & cooking them on the hot dog sticks while I was working on the area, pretty darn good lunch ;)
Just got to remember to let the birch bark burn off before cooking on the fire, the black smoke off it smells pretty bad.
Got an old gas grill cooking grate that's in 2 pieces I want to get welded together so I can size the key hole.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice, nice work Dave. That will make for a nice surface to enjoy the fires on. Pictures of food are always appreciated.

Fire pit upgrade

Reactions: Defiant
Lookin good..... I dont remember but one firepit last year. The big thing was outdoor stoves, fireplaces, and chimnea's..

I love mine. We had about a dozen friends over Sat night. We made Ka-Bobs and Smores later at night. Great times had around the Fire... I built a Horseshoe pit just off from my Fire pit. The kiddo's had enough light from the fire to play shoes after dark.

Everyone loves a good fire. Good job Dave. Keep is updated.

Lookin good..... I dont remember but one firepit last year. The big thing was outdoor stoves, fireplaces, and chimnea's..

I love mine. We had about a dozen friends over Sat night. We made Ka-Bobs and Smores later at night. Great times had around the Fire... I built a Horseshoe pit just off from my Fire pit. The kiddo's had enough light from the fire to play shoes after dark.

Mad Dog, waiting for photos when you throw a hog on that pit.;)

Yeah Dex, I'm with Defiant.......if you get a hog lined up to put on that pit, I ain't that far away and trust me I WILL make the trip out to your place.......>>

Yeah Dex, I'm with Defiant.......if you get a hog lined up to put on that pit, I ain't that far away and trust me I WILL make the trip out to your place.......>>

If I ever get a Pig over that pit, anyone from here is welcome to come!

My Wife and Brother in Law co-own a Cabin on the edge of Cook Forest in Pa (after my in-laws passed, it was left to them). I will probbe going out there in the 1st or 2nd week of August. I dont know how close you are to the area (I dont know the town name/ shame on me ;)) but I would be inclined to meet up and have an adult beverage or 4 w/ you. The Cabin is off of Rt. 66, almost an hour and a half inside the Pa border (from Ohio).

We dont go there much, but my BIL goes out almost every weekend. Thats where he uses his new 562XP. His Father built the place himself about 17 yrs ago. Its a part of his childhood that brings back fond memories of his Father. He passed 2 weeks before I met my Wife (my BIL was 13) and know he was a good man. My MIL passed 2 yrs ago this August. They were both early to leave this place. (Within 10 yrs of one another). Both wonderful people. But the Cabin is what they have left for memories. They built is as a family and spent almost every weekend out there.

Rant...... Sorry. :( Anyways. If I make it out there, and your not far away, we should meet up and talk stoves, wood, saws, etc (kinda like here ;))

Reactions: Defiant and ScotO
I picture Mad Dogs Pig hangin' over that pit on spit powered by a brand new crate 454 engine rolling at about 4000 rpm cooking on a fire about 6,000 degrees... Start to finish, I figure we will be pulling pork in less than ten minutes!! I figure if Scotty makes the trip he will upgrade and the pork will be done in 7 minutes!;)

That depends on whether Scotty brings a Supercharger or Turbo's?? May throw a wrench in it and bring Nitrous! !!

Either way, sounds about right ;)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.