Fire Duration Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodheat58

Feb 16, 2019
Ohio
Hello Fisher experts! I've currently got a thread going on "blaze king disappointment" and am coming here for more advice. Quick question, can the Fisher Papa Bear keep a fire going overnight? Theres one for sale on CL near me for 1500

Thanks

Dear lord yes. That firebox is absolutely huge.

Don't spend $1500, please!!! It will throw some heat but that price is ridiculous.

Yes, you pull coals and charcoal from the rear where it doesn't burn down to ash like in the front, and build your new fire on coals with kindling. This way you can also remove some ash in the front each morning and rake the pile ahead with a little ash. This prevents the need for allowing the fire to go out to remove ash. Always burn on about 1 inch of ash and 24/7 fires are not unheard of for most of the winter. This can be accomplished with a Mama Bear as well.

The duration of a fire is based on when you can still kindle a fire without striking a match. They do not put out much heat during the coaling stage, but it is considered one fire. When burning hard 24/7, you can get a huge pile of coals that can be left to burn down all day during a mild winter day and kindle it at 5 or 6 PM. That would be 19 to 20 hours since loading the night before. (this is one use for a flue damper, you can close it when leaving in the morning and still have the glowing pile when you get home from work in the afternoon- ONLY during the coal stage when no smoke is present)

I hope you mean $150. I buy a Papa for up to 200, recondition and sell them for double that. Other brands I sell for about $300. Later UL listed stoves and glass models can sell for more.

If this is the stove you are looking at, it is a Grandma Bear. I paid $300 for a '76 Grandma Bear late last year in SE NY.

00U0U_45Cc33wrx8I_600x450.jpg

And don't expect a Grandma Bear to perform anything like a Papa. They are two different purpose built stoves.

Reactions: Todd67
$1500 is outrageous. You can find one for $500 if you wait and look around

You should be able to find one for $300 this spring/summer.

In the 80's the "Old Style Stoves" (angle iron legs) were Papa; $460. Mama; $410. Baby; $360.
The "UL Listed Stoves" were Papa; $555. or $585 with nickel door, Mama; $500. or $530 with nickel door, Baby; $445. or $475 with nickel door.

upload_2019-2-21_7-31-20.png

Reactions: Todd67