Fire bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !
the fire bricks came new with my insert. 4 years old I think. I’ve noticed the ones closest to the door ( around the inside edge corners where bricks meet) are deteriorating. Sort of scaling or chipping. Pretty minor and I’m still using them. But still none of the others are doing this either on the bottom or the sides. And I’m not scraping them with the ash shovel.

How long do fire bricks last ? And why do you think only the ones closest to the front are starting to crumble on the edges ? The door is tight it passes the dollar bill test so it’s not burning any hotter in that area. Thoughts ?

the fire bricks came new with my insert. 4 years old I think. I’ve noticed the ones closest to the door ( around the inside edge corners where bricks meet) are deteriorating. Sort of scaling or chipping. Pretty minor and I’m still using them. But still none of the others are doing this either on the bottom or the sides. And I’m not scraping them with the ash shovel.

How long do fire bricks last ? And why do you think only the ones closest to the front are starting to crumble on the edges ? The door is tight it passes the dollar bill test so it’s not burning any hotter in that area. Thoughts ?
I have the same experience with my bricks. The deteriorating parts are right in front of the dog house. I can see this is the hottest place, as it gets constant air.

I just flipped my bricks over. The bottom was like new.

I think they will last a long time, despite the spalling. Plus, most of the time they are buried in ash.

Fire bricks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slocum
Yours look exactly like mine. Mirror image. So you just flipped them ? What about taking some from the sides and rotating to extend life ? I might try that. Like you said they are buried in ash. I’m not worried I still use them but obviously they are breaking down some

I replaced the bricks in the PE for the first time 2 years ago. I played with some of the new ones, and flipped others.

I've found that if you don't just toss the split in the box, and slam the back firewall, you are way, way, ahead of the game :p

Yes, our firebricks are on their 10th year. There is one cracked in the back. I own that one. It happened from trying to toss in a too long split in a hot firebox. The others are aging gracefully. I may rotate some next summer to extend life.

Yours look exactly like mine. Mirror image. So you just flipped them ? What about taking some from the sides and rotating to extend life ? I might try that. Like you said they are buried in ash. I’m not worried I still use them but obviously they are breaking down some
Now that you mention it, I may have done exactly what you said. Hard to remember, it's been at least a year, maybe two.

I think I flipped them, figuring they'd wear out and I'd only have to replace three when they finally failed.

Now, I'm of the mind to replace them all with the denser and cheaper clay brick to get more heat into the house. I think the clay ones would be more durable as well. I'm just too cheap and lazy to get in a hurry to do it.

Btw, the manual for the newer version of my stove indicates the bricks that are located where these are, are high density bricks. So, seems to be a know issue caused by the increased heat in front of the doghouse.

Btw, the manual for the newer version of my stove indicates the bricks that are located where these are, are high density bricks. So, seems to be a know issue caused by the increased heat in front of the doghouse.

Makes sense. I don’t throw my splits in and have never done anything that would cause the scaling of the bricks. Must just be extra hot.

That said I wonder at what point to replace them? The bricks help keep heat in the fire box but also help keep the steel stove at reasonable temps. If you were to attempt a burn without bricks I think you might over heat parts of the stove ? More direct heat transfer into the stove parts. So although the bricks still have plenty of mass left to them, should they be replaced as soon as deterioration is noticed ?​

Makes sense. I don’t throw my splits in and have never done anything that would cause the scaling of the bricks. Must just be extra hot.

That said I wonder at what point to replace them? The bricks help keep heat in the fire box but also help keep the steel stove at reasonable temps. If you were to attempt a burn without bricks I think you might over heat parts of the stove ? More direct heat transfer into the stove parts. So although the bricks still have plenty of mass left to them, should they be replaced as soon as deterioration is noticed ?​
I wouldn't burn without bricks, but I think the little bit of spalling we are experiencing is absolutely nothing to worry about.

When one completely crumbles to the point where you can see steel underneath it, then I'll replace. Even then, if you left ash in the space, I'm sure it would be fine.

Woodhog, what stove make and model is this? Can you add that to your signature line?

If you use a leather work glove when tending a fire you dont have to throw the wood in the box. ;)

If you use a leather work glove when tending a fire you dont have to throw the wood in the box. ;)
And even if you don't there is no need if loading N/S. Just take it slow and easy.