Fire Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stovepipemike2

Oct 1, 2019
south central pa
I am now placing all new firebrick [16] in my stove. I am wondering if there is a brake in period namely a small low heat fire for so many cycles and allowing it to cool off etc. The other way would be to fire it up and know break in period is not necessary. They cost a few bucks and there is no need to damage them when it could be avoided. Any thoughts ?/ Mike

I have a friend who does glass blowing. He always said that the firebrick in his kiln needs to be heated slowly, if there are new bricks. To get all the moisture out of the bricks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A small fire to eliminate moisture isn't a bad thing. Required....dont know, but I dry out my stove the same way every fall.

Reactions: jaoneill