Fire Brick Modification for Insert Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chaz103

May 30, 2019
Las Cruces, NM
Hello all! I purchased a Harman Accentra 52i and it needs another inch or so for back corners. Curious if we can grind a few firebricks to facilitate a flush mount without altering front fireplace facade. Our fireplace is in a wedge shape so plenty of depth just a bit shy for width. Will this jeapordise integrity of fireplace?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190530_112145.jpg
    MVIMG_20190530_112145.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 324
Depends on how much you grind off

Probably not but I am not an engineer and have no idea
how the fire place is put together . For myself I would cut them
so I could get my insert installed

Would cutting a 1-2" chunk out of both sides approx 24" up be too much?

I would check with a professional. I think the last thing you want to do is compromise the integrity of the fire brick both for your future use or the next owner of your house.

You cut too much out, you will have to use a zc box and hard pipe it. What’s behind the brick?