Finishing stonework around chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slicky

Nov 3, 2020
CO Mountains
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This summer we pulled out our old smoke dragon and replaced it with a Lopi Endeavor.

I’ve slowly been putting the finishing touches and running stone up the wall to the ceiling. Our stovepipe makes close to a 90 degree turn to pass through the wall, then straight up through the roof. It is a new 6” liner passed through the existing 8” pipe and tee on the other side of the wall.

The question I have is how close can I run the stone to the tee/pipe running through the wall? Installers left a 2” gap from the pipe to the drywall that they then filled with non combustible cement board. I assume I can run the stone right up to within a 1/4” or so of the pipe, but maybe it needs to be 2” from pipe?

Anybody have any insight?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Finishing stonework around chimney pipe
    F7620E37-AC97-4CB1-886A-3E923BFE8D08.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 101
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This summer we pulled out our old smoke dragon and replaced it with a Lopi Endeavor.

I’ve slowly been putting the finishing touches and running stone up the wall to the ceiling. Our stovepipe makes close to a 90 degree turn to pass through the wall, then straight up through the roof. It is a new 6” liner passed through the existing 8” pipe and tee on the other side of the wall.

The question I have is how close can I run the stone to the tee/pipe running through the wall? Installers left a 2” gap from the pipe to the drywall that they then filled with non combustible cement board. I assume I can run the stone right up to within a 1/4” or so of the pipe, but maybe it needs to be 2” from pipe?

Anybody have any insight?
Thanks!
You could run it right against the pipe. What clearance do you have ontop and to the side of that pipe?

Thanks bholler! Pictures are a little deceiving. I've got 9" above the pipe to the ceiling and right around 8" to each wall. That cement board is closer to 4" wide in the pics, the backside behind the pipe is 2".

It should be a lot safer than the previous install, they had drywall pressed right up against the old double wall stove pipe!!!

Thanks bholler! Pictures are a little deceiving. I've got 9" above the pipe to the ceiling and right around 8" to each wall. That cement board is closer to 4" wide in the pics, the backside behind the pipe is 2".

It should be a lot safer than the previous install, they had drywall pressed right up against the old double wall stove pipe!!!
Ok good just checking.