FB Marketplace ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
Can't tell what this is. Decent pictures too. It kind of looks like maple, a few like hickory... Maybe it's gum? At this point I'm holding out for 24MBTU or better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190315-073454_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-073454_Facebook.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 302
  • Screenshot_20190315-073441_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-073441_Facebook.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Screenshot_20190315-073422_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-073422_Facebook.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: Lone_Gun
Not Gum I don't believe. Deffinitely not Sour Gum, bark is all wrong for that. Your too far north for Sweet Gum unless it was a planted tree. One photo suggest hickory. Possibly Ash maybe Green Ash. A split would help.

They just responded. Apparently there were a few trees. That last one looks like hickory or white oak. They are pretty common in that region. I think it's worth a look. Have a decent chance at getting something good. Would be great to add some to the white oak round stash.

There are some sweet gum around, not extremely common though.

I would've guessed maybe oak, not because I'm good at identifying it since I rarely get it, but because there's oak leaves around. I'd say it's not ash, but one pic looks like maple. Looks like nicely cut, straight wood. I'd go for it.

In the mid-atlantic Sweet Gum is strickly a coastal plain tree. And typically south of Baltimore, eastern shore. maybe some as cropped up to same terrain in NY. Nice tree except for the gum balls.

So after 12hrs it was more than half gone. There was one hickory log left and the rest I'm pretty sure is Sugar Maple. Don't have much experience with it. Smells sweet similar to Red maple, darker rings visible, thicker rays but thinner than oak, creamy white sapwood. More difficult to split than red maple but luckily the rounds are straight. The x27 bounces except near the edge.

I was there slowly lugging 80lb logs into the bed and another two guys showed up in a F150. Said I'd split it with them if they could help me load. So 10min later we were both about loaded up and I got about 1/4cord. Should mix nicely with the white oak stash if it is Sugar Maple.

Attachments

• 20190315_150843.jpg
    20190315_150843.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Hard Maple and hickory, you had it from the get-go