ValleyCottageSplitter Posted By ValleyCottageSplitter, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:06 AM

1. ValleyCottageSplitter

ValleyCottageSplitter
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2016
    Loc:
    Rockland Co, NY
    Can't tell what this is. Decent pictures too. It kind of looks like maple, a few like hickory... Maybe it's gum? At this point I'm holding out for 24MBTU or better.

Attached Files:

Lone_Gun likes this.
  2. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Not Gum I don't believe. Deffinitely not Sour Gum, bark is all wrong for that. Your too far north for Sweet Gum unless it was a planted tree. One photo suggest hickory. Possibly Ash maybe Green Ash. A split would help.

3. ValleyCottageSplitter

ValleyCottageSplitter
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2016
    Loc:
    Rockland Co, NY
    They just responded. Apparently there were a few trees. That last one looks like hickory or white oak. They are pretty common in that region. I think it's worth a look. Have a decent chance at getting something good. Would be great to add some to the white oak round stash.

There are some sweet gum around, not extremely common though.

4. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Rochester NY
    I would've guessed maybe oak, not because I'm good at identifying it since I rarely get it, but because there's oak leaves around. I'd say it's not ash, but one pic looks like maple. Looks like nicely cut, straight wood. I'd go for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    In the mid-atlantic Sweet Gum is strickly a coastal plain tree. And typically south of Baltimore, eastern shore. maybe some as cropped up to same terrain in NY. Nice tree except for the gum balls.

6. ValleyCottageSplitter

ValleyCottageSplitter
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2016
    Loc:
    Rockland Co, NY
    So after 12hrs it was more than half gone. There was one hickory log left and the rest I'm pretty sure is Sugar Maple. Don't have much experience with it. Smells sweet similar to Red maple, darker rings visible, thicker rays but thinner than oak, creamy white sapwood. More difficult to split than red maple but luckily the rounds are straight. The x27 bounces except near the edge.

I was there slowly lugging 80lb logs into the bed and another two guys showed up in a F150. Said I'd split it with them if they could help me load. So 10min later we were both about loaded up and I got about 1/4cord. Should mix nicely with the white oak stash if it is Sugar Maple.

Attached Files:

Lone_Gun and JimBear like this.
  7. nrford

nrford
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2011
    Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Hard Maple and hickory, you had it from the get-go

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ValleyCottageSplitter likes this.
  8. ValleyCottageSplitter

ValleyCottageSplitter
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2016
    Loc:
    Rockland Co, NY
    I had no idea it was hard Maple until I got there! I lucked out!