Fast wood dryer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
Okay, this is just something I threw together FWIW because I was getting worried that my first year's wood is not drying fast enough and we're not getting much breeze. It's a bit early to know for sure but I've had it going now for a couple of weeks and first indications are promising. It's quick and easy so I thought I'd toss it out there since it's getting late in the season and I know there are a lot of others like me who are getting ready to burn for the first time with less than ideal wood at hand.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the work, but you can use your imagination for all kinds of variations. All I did,though, was build a 4' x 4' baffle of OSB with two 20" box fans mounted side by side in the center of it (centered up and down also), then stacked my wood (split down a bit smaller) on both sides of it, 4' wide and 4' high, to end up with an 8' long stack with the baffled fans in the middle. The baffle is the key to this to prevent air from just going around. I covered the whole stack with a tarp as tightly as possible around the stack down to the ground and especially tight around the baffle so that air can only be drawn in from one end and must exit the other. Of course, the ends are open. Mine just looks like a small blue hut with open ends now. No point in taking a pic of that...:) The fans probably don't have to be in the center, but you have to make sure that air can't go around the baffle and this helps do that. Make sure the air is pushed the same direction as your prevailing breezes. If you do something like this, make sure no wood can fall or push into the fans.

I opened up a couple of splits today and some that were well over 30% a few weeks ago are less than 25 now when split open again. My only control group is the stack I took this stack from and it varied in MC, but still, I'm sure this is working to some degree. Before I did this, it didn't seem like the stuff was doing anything measurable, so this seems pretty good so far. If I can get this stack to 20% in a few more weeks, I'll do it again on another cord or two. That should be good for this season.

The fans are the $15 variety and pull 177 watts (both on high) on my KillAWatt meter, which is 4.2 KWH per day, or about $.25 a day for me to operate, although our rates are very low at $.053. However, it seems well worth it if you only have to do it for a few months and you're getting desperate. At this rate, I think I can do two or three cords in two or three months, and I probably could have made the stacks larger, too. Those fans can push a lot of air, but you do have to make sure it goes straight through. I can feel the air blowing out the end, so that's got to be doing something good...

You could put the fans on a humidistat inside the stack which may make it more efficient. You can get ones made for bathroom fan controls for around $20 I think. I didn't bother as I figured full bore all the time was fine.

_g
Gonna need a picture.
You're taking "fire wood addiction" to a new level :)

Reactions: Gark and ScotO
aw, dammit sprinter.......you know the motto by now. Pics or it didn't happen!

Reactions: red oak
Oh, for Heaven's sake, I told you it was just a covered stack now... Bunch of little kids;lol Almost see my little Homelite splitter on the right rear and that's a Christmas tree farm in the background.

Fast wood dryer

The part that makes it work is buried inside and I didn't think to take any pics of the fan baffle when I made it, but it's simple enough. Just framed the two fans with 2x4's and OSB. Understand that this was quick and dirty in the late evening and I was tired. It could be made much nicer and probably more efficient.

Reactions: ScotO
Oh, for Heaven's sake, I told you it was just a covered stack now... Bunch of little kids;lol Almost see my little Homelite splitter on the right rear and that's a Christmas tree farm in the background.

View attachment 73066

The part that makes it work is buried inside and I didn't think to take any pics of the fan baffle when I made it, but it's simple enough. Just framed the two fans with 2x4's and OSB.
That's better! Sounds like a neat idea, I'll be interested in hearing some results in a couple of weeks or so regarding the moisture content. I plan on building a woodshed down the road, and I had mentioned before about putting fans in it as well. I'm going to make the roof black and make black shutters or doors all around it to help run the temps up in there during the summer months. The fans will kick on when a temperature sensor calls for them (set at say 90 degrees or so), run in 20 minute intervals until the sensor kicks it back on. I think that would drastically speed up seasoning.....

That's better! Sounds like a neat idea, I'll be interested in hearing some results in a couple of weeks or so regarding the moisture content. I plan on building a woodshed down the road, and I had mentioned before about putting fans in it as well. I'm going to make the roof black and make black shutters or doors all around it to help run the temps up in there during the summer months. The fans will kick on when a temperature sensor calls for them (set at say 90 degrees or so), run in 20 minute intervals until the sensor kicks it back on. I think that would drastically speed up seasoning.....

You mean wood pole barn lol

LOL sprinter thanks for the pics. Little kids love it.

I do too. It has to help. You might consider a humidistat rather than a thermostat for the fans, since humidity in the stack is the most important factor. At least that should help keep the electric cost down if nothing else, since the air doesn't really need to be on until the heat gets the water vapor up to a certain level. And try to funnel the air directly through the wood to optimize the air flow from the fans. If you're going to built a whole enclosed shed building, you could probably install fans on one end and suck air in from the opposite end and then the wall would be your baffle. With shed full, you've got air going through the whole stack and out the end and that would be a perfect setup.

Sprinter r u stacking directly on the ground? cant tell with that pic.
Yes, but only out of laziness. It's only going to be there for a little while, so I wasn't too concerned about that. There are lots of things I could have done better, but this was more a "proof of concept" deal.

Yes, but only out of laziness. It's only going to be there for a little while, so I wasn't too concerned about that. There are lots of things I could have done better, but this was more a "proof of concept" deal.

At least your honest.

Thats cool, I put a few fans on the less than ideal cherry I had for the end of last winter. Didnt test it to see the moisture content but felt it helped. It was stacked in two rows with two box fans at one end blowing air along the rows.

I bet it would even work better with a wood shed and some tarps.

The concept should work. Constant air flow should pull more moisture away.
I think you are onto something :)
Plastic on the ground then pallets & wood , might speed it up some. No ground moisture adding to the humidity under the tarp.

I did expect a little more than what I see in the picture though. (wood stack covered with a tarp) LOL :)

A wind tunnell that happens to have firewood splits getting dry from a homemade breeze... How cool! What about adding a heater to the input end some how?

A wind tunnell that happens to have firewood splits getting dry from a homemade breeze... How cool! What about adding a heater to the input end some how?

i was thinking the same thing gark. the heat source you speak of should be solar. maybe a couple of panels of reclaimed windows from the dump, set into the roof on an angle to catch the most sun. basically a big greenhouse/heater. if there were some thermal mass in the 'shed', like if the pallets on the floor were set up on reclaimed bricks or cinder blocks, then the 'shed' would store heat and stay warmer at night and dry the stacks faster.

but if someone is 2-3 years ahead there would be no need for a firewood dryer!

Good little ....uh, kiln you've got going there.
Not cross-stacking would help airflow.
Where's the cord for the fan?:cool:
Here's something for you to peruse, http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm, if you wanna' get crazy with it.
Thanks for that link, PapaDave. Some really nice design ideas there, especially for someone like Scotty who wants a large, permanent structure. In my particular case, I just needed to get a couple of cords dry for this year. This was cheap and quick and very temporary and I can use the fans in the house next year;).

I considered the cross-stacking issue and I'm still not sure if it makes a difference. With smaller splits, it's hard to keep good airspace. I did mostly long-way stacking as you suggested, but put some cross-way to get airspace and break up the air flow some. As I was stacking, I realized that I needed to break up the airflow to get it out from the center.

The concept should work. Constant air flow should pull more moisture away.
I think you are onto something :)
Plastic on the ground then pallets & wood , might speed it up some. No ground moisture adding to the humidity under the tarp.

I did expect a little more than what I see in the picture though. (wood stack covered with a tarp) LOL :)
Sorry to disappoint. I never wanted to post a pic in the first place, you know...:p It may not be purty, but it's working and it took all of an hour to make. I like simple. Simple is good. Agreed, you should get the stack off the ground. I need to find a source of pallets somewhere around here. Home Depot ships theirs off.

Good little ....uh, kiln you've got going there.
Not cross-stacking would help airflow.
Where's the cord for the fan?:cool:
Here's something for you to peruse, http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm, if you wanna' get crazy with it.
I especially like the one from OSU for simplicity and ease of build. Most of these designs are for lumber, and they are careful to get air flow even throughout as this one does.

Processing Trees to Lumber for the Hobbyist and Small Business
Plans for a Solar Kiln,
Eugene M. Wengert and Dan A. Meyer
http://owic.oregonstate.edu/solarkiln/plans.htm

Fast wood dryer
Information on designing and building a solar wood drying kiln.

I opened up a couple of splits today and some that were well over 30% a few weeks ago are less than 25 now when split open again. My only control group is the stack I took this stack from and it varied in MC, but still, I'm sure this is working to some degree. Before I did this, it didn't seem like the stuff was doing anything measurable, so this seems pretty good so far. If I can get this stack to 20% in a few more weeks, I'll do it again on another cord or two.
In 2010 I had some Ash that was around 25% and was hissing pretty bad when thrown in on a hot coal bed. I stacked some, maybe a half-cord, in the house with a Stack-It Bracket type rack and put a couple of fans on it. Humidity in the house was about 40% but after blowing the fans on the wood for a while, it went up to about 46% so I knew moisture was coming out of the wood. That wood got down to about 20% in a couple of weeks. Inside, of course, the humidity is constant. Outside where you are, it looks like humidity is pretty high at night. You could probably turn the fans off at night and not lose much...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...79999998&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

In 2010 I had some Ash that was around 25% and was hissing pretty bad when thrown in on a hot coal bed. I stacked some, maybe a half-cord, in the house with a Stack-It Bracket type rack and put a couple of fans on it. Humidity in the house was about 40% but after blowing the fans on the wood for a while, it went up to about 46% so I knew moisture was coming out of the wood. That wood got down to about 20% in a couple of weeks. Inside, of course, the humidity is constant. Outside where you are, it looks like humidity is pretty high at night. You could probably turn the fans off at night and not lose much...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...79999998&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
Hey, nice find on the graph. I didn't realize the RH was getting that high at night here.

I stacked some, maybe a half-cord, in the house
I take it you're single;lol That would never fly here...

Hey, nice find on the graph. I didn't realize the RH was getting that high at night here.

I take it you're single;lol That would never fly here...
I stacked the wood in the house with the promise that it would just be for a couple of weeks. The drying rate had started to level off at that point, anyway. I was kind of sorry to see that stack go but she was thrilled. ==c

NWS is my favorite weather site, by far. Killer radar page, and overall great resource. It was fun watching the humidity here go much lower than normal here during this dry Summer. Some days it got down around 20%, and often very breezy...unheard of. Could almost hear the wood drying. >> Here's your main page, or just type in a city or zip code:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.6042726&lon=-122.53178079999998&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Cinebar, WA 98533, USA

BIL is on Whidbey Island and has a Russian fireplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.