Fan not working mf5000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RobinP

Nov 7, 2021
Missouri
I have a Heatmaster mf5000 installed new 2007. It is one with the control door and panel above the wood loading door (horrible design idea). I have replaced the fan switches, controller and the computer almost yearly (gets too hot) for the past several years. Have replaced the taco pump a couple of times but overall happy with it. I have fired it up this year and have had it running low demand for a couple of weeks. The fan stopped working yesterday. Already swapped out the fan control. Computer working as should (set 190 like I have always). The taco pump is working. I just swapped it as the cartridge blades were broke when I fired it up. Looking for suggestions on steps to go through next. I have not replaced the selonoid. I did replace the fan 4-5 years ago

Is the fan getting power? Or its locked up?
I know on some of the models they have upgraded the fan to be better for its high temp environment (high temp bearings IIRC)
@E Yoder might be of help here...

Is the fan getting power? Or its locked up?
I know on some of the models they have upgraded the fan to be better for its high temp environment (high temp bearings IIRC)
@E Yoder might be of help here...
I believe so as it gets it’s power from the same outlet as the water pump. Looking for my meter to check

If the solenoid lifts then it's a bad fan or a bad rheostat (up front). The solenoid and fan both get power from the same control up front. The outlets for the pump have continuous power, the fan and solenoid get power from the relay in the Ranco control.
The original 4C446 fans could be oiled. The new 1TDP7 fans have sealed bearings. BTW, don't turn down the fan speed using the rheostat, it can cook the fan motor. If I'm working on an older MF model I bypass the rheostat.

190 is way too hot for an open system. Might explain why you burn up the controls, 190 is really crowding boiling point. They recommend 180 max.
The control on those old units is in a bad location. It's easy to leave the door open and cook the switches, digital readout. Keep the door shut over the control while loading.

1TDP7 is the Dayton motor you need. Very common fan motor, Fasco and other brands have compatible models.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
How about moving the control panel to a cool location?

It could be done but beings it's outdoors you'd have to keep it covered.

How about moving the control panel to a cool location?
Would be way beyond my scope of doing

Fan not working mf5000

I forgot, the power to the control goes through a 190° snap disc, so it's possible you tripped it and it has to drop to 150 to reset.

Moving it should be as easy as making a location that is covered away from the boiler.
Put a pipe in the ground as a stand and add a birdhouse with the front cut out as a shelter ,get an electrician to wire it up.Or purpose build an enclosure for the panel.
I am sure that there is something already built you could adapt.Look at the Mcmaster Carr website