Eye candy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rox3406

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2017
New Jersey
Eye candy
Posted this earlier in another thread. Thought the guys in the gear would like to see it.
Here is the Stihl part of our fleet
Ms 170,271,290,362,and two 660s. The rest are big jonsered saws retired from the fd.
What’s your candy?

660, 650, 361, 250, and another
Eye candy

My dad was making fun of me for having 3 chainsaws. Some guys just don't get the beauty of nice equipment.

I think 3 is the perfect number, if you’re doing your own felling and processing. One big boy over 75cc, one regular cutter (MS-361’ish) with an 18-20 inch bar, one top handle or small limbing saw.

It’s the guys with six, who are really showing their addiction. The first three are just plain necessity.

Eye candy
Eye candy
I used to have an 880 but sold it to a buddy and purchased this box scraper. I purchased the grapple this spring, what a game changer for doing wood. The 40 hp tractor was added because I use it a lot for hauling wood moving etc.. The two new 660's in the box were probably not the best decision with money since the 660 in the cedar chest is about brand new. I say these are just grown up toys, that help make life easier. I have a few buddies who have over ten saws, skid steers, bull dozers, excavators dumps. You can never have to much equipment! The saw next to the box scraper is my father's 039, plus he has a almost new 361.
Eye candy
Eye candy

Eye candy
This is a pic when me and 2 buddies were taking down a tree last year for a friend. Mine are the first 4 minus the 290 I gave to my dad and my pole saw. 170, Echo 590, 261 C-M and 460. The next pile is an assortment of my buddies’ saws including my favorite- an 066 sporting the 36” bar. Love running that saw!

View attachment 219177 View attachment 219178 I used to have an 880 but sold it to a buddy and purchased this box scraper. I purchased the grapple this spring, what a game changer for doing wood. The 40 hp tractor was added because I use it a lot for hauling wood moving etc.. The two new 660's in the box were probably not the best decision with money since the 660 in the cedar chest is about brand new. I say these are just grown up toys, that help make life easier. I have a few buddies who have over ten saws, skid steers, bull dozers, excavators dumps. You can never have to much equipment! The saw next to the box scraper is my father's 039, plus he has a almost new 361.View attachment 219175 View attachment 219176

Purrrrty!

i used to use a poulan for brush and the 361 for bigger stuff, but now i use a makita lxt sawsall with 2 3ah batteries, and a 8inch brush blade for stuff under 2inches. really is as fast as a chain and is way less beating you up. the batteries go forever on makitas, those two will go all day

I think 3 is the perfect number, if you’re doing your own felling and processing. One big boy over 75cc, one regular cutter (MS-361’ish) with an 18-20 inch bar, one top handle or small limbing saw.

It’s the guys with six, who are really showing their addiction. The first three are just plain necessity.
With me its not about addiction....I swear! :) It is about having a back up saw....I never return to the house because a saw is down for some reason...It is also about having enough saws on hand so I can take full advantage of the help I get from my son and the occasional friend he brings home to help..3 of us cutting solid for 4-6 hours can lay in a very large supply of wood for the 1 stove I run. Sometimes I will even have 4-5 of us! I also run at least 10 chains per saw...I buy the 2.5 gal six pack fuel mix and bar oil by the case....nothing stops this firewood operation...:cool:

Reactions: Lone_Gun
must be nice to get help, I never have any except sometimes splitting if I wait till its warm. but she just runs the lever

With me its not about addiction....I swear! [emoji4] It is about having a back up saw....I never return to the house because a saw is down for some reason...It is also about having enough saws on hand so I can take full advantage of the help I get from my son and the occasional friend he brings home to help..3 of us cutting solid for 4-6 hours can lay in a very large supply of wood for the 1 stove I run. Sometimes I will even have 4-5 of us! I also run at least 10 chains per saw...I buy the 2.5 gal six pack fuel mix and bar oil by the case....nothing stops this firewood operation...[emoji41]

You must be harvesting a massive amount of wood! I’ve put three cords on the ground and had it cleaned and bucked in under 30 minutes, on many, many occasions. That’s all by myself, with one big saw (064) and one limbing saw (T435).

The limitation in my wood harvesting is always the skidder, by probably 10:1. Never the sawyer. It takes minutes to fell and buck, but hours to skid it out of the woods on a tractor.

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Ashful
You can drop, buck and split a full cord in 10 mins?

It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to drop a 3-cord tree. Then I cut off the top, and buck the trunk to 15 foot (or 7.5 foot if the diameter is large) sections. Yes, I can do that in under 30 minutes.

Skidding it out of the woods and onto the trailer will take an hour or two. Splitting it and stacking it will take a day or two, depending on how long and hard I work at it.

It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to drop a 3-cord tree. Then I cut off the top, and buck the trunk to 15 foot (or 7.5 foot if the diameter is large) sections. Yes, I can do that in under 30 minutes.

Skidding it out of the woods and onto the trailer will take an hour or two. Splitting it and stacking it will take a day or two, depending on how long and hard I work at it.

15 foot pieces is not exactly bucked. :)

15 foot pieces is not exactly bucked. :)

It is, in the context of the conversation we were having. I’m questioning Tar’s need for 10 chainsaws in the field, when I can outwork any four skidders with just two chainsaws, myself.

Folks don’t buck logs into single rounds, when the purpose is skidding them out of the woods. If you’re bucking logs into single rounds out in the woods, rather than dragging them out long, then you’re just wasting time.

Reactions: D8Chumley
You must be harvesting a massive amount of wood! I’ve put three cords on the ground and had it cleaned and bucked in under 30 minutes, on many, many occasions. That’s all by myself, with one big saw (064) and one limbing saw (T435).

The limitation in my wood harvesting is always the skidder, by probably 10:1. Never the sawyer. It takes minutes to fell and buck, but hours to skid it out of the woods on a tractor.
I mainly process tops...that takes time...I would love to only process logs! Many times I have to cut my way in....more time! The more bodies the better!

Reactions: Ashful
I mainly process tops...that takes time...I would love to only process logs! Many times I have to cut my way in....more time! The more bodies the better!

Got it. Yes, that’s a painful way to go! Only time I touch tops is when they’re in the way of the trunks, as was the case after hurricane Sandy. Usually, I have the luxury of taking the trunk and leaving the rest in the woods. I tell myself it’s not wasteful, as you need to leave something for the forest ecosystem to work... at least that’s what I tell myself.

My aversion to tops is as much in the splitting and stacking of branch wood, as the actual gathering. You have your work cut out for you!

Got it. Yes, that’s a painful way to go! Only time I touch tops is when they’re in the way of the trunks, as was the case after hurricane Sandy. Usually, I have the luxury of taking the trunk and leaving the rest in the woods. I tell myself it’s not wasteful, as you need to leave something for the forest ecosystem to work... at least that’s what I tell myself.

My aversion to tops is as much in the splitting and stacking of branch wood, as the actual gathering. You have your work cut out for you!
I get lucky some times and get into big tops with big limb wood and then I just drag the big limb wood out and leave the small stuff behind...I love those times!