Extremely new to this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mic9kxD

Jan 5, 2020
Illinois
Hey guys I am new here I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. I am extremely new to using a wood burner but my house that I am renting has that as it’s only heat source so I gotta learn anyway I am wanting to clean my chimney and I honestly don’t think my landlord will pay for it and I cannot afford to do it but the previous tenets left the supplies to do so. After watching about 20 tutorials on YouTube it seems fairly simple but I could not seem to find any videos that match my set up. My wall dips out a bit and the pipe connects to that spot so I am curious how I clean that area. The photos are my set up and then directly on the opposite side of the wall any guidance would be appreciated thank you!

Extremely new to this! Extremely new to this! Extremely new to this! Extremely new to this!

It all looks really questionable to me. Your landlord is responsible for provings you with a safe heat source. I really have to question the safety of that setup

Reactions: blacktail
What he said! ^^^^^

Do you have a good supply of seasoned firewood?

It all looks really questionable to me. Your landlord is responsible for provings you with a safe heat source. I really have to question the safety of that setup
I did too. My uncle is a fire fighter. I had him check it out. He’s not concerned but I definitely want it clean.

Based on the pictures, the clearances look too close (those shelves to the left), and the floor pad doesn't look big enough. A person would have to measure to be sure, of course.

Here's the manual:

Edit: here's a clearer PDF:

I did too. My uncle is a fire fighter. I had him check it out. He’s not concerned but I definitely want it clean.
Is the chimney lined? If so with what and what condition is that liner in?

And it looks like the pipe is upside down. The unused crock doesn't look like it is sealed off correctly. Clearance issues etc

You got to get that chimney inspected if it isn't lined with an insulated liner, a crack in the clay tile can let flue gasses into the structure causing a fire, especially if the masonry chimney doesn't have the proper clearances.
The single wall smoke pipe (black pipe) should be replaced, looks as though some goofed up and put sealant on all the joints, no good all that will do is stink the place out, I don't know why so many people put sealant in the joints, the natural vacuum of the draft will keep the smoke in the pipe, also make sure the male ends are pointed to the stove to allow any creosote to drain back to the stove.
The stove clearences and hearth pad need to be checked, not sure what stove that is, looks like an US wonderwood but the manual needs to be consulted for hearth pad r value and clearences to combustibles.

Looking at the width of the chimney there's a fair chance it's not even clay lined. Too narrow. Originally probably set up for a coal stove back in the day. That would have been typical. For a wood stove that's a receipe for disaster.

Isn't that another heat source I see on the wall behind the stove?

It may not be helpful, but there is no way I would rent and live in a place that had wood heat as its only source of heat, just way too much disaster potential for both the rentor and the rentee. Having a wood source available as a second source to supplement with, maybe. Just the fact that insurance is very hard to come by for that situation (around here at least) is a primary red flag to the whole thing. Are you able to get insurance? (Renters?)

Reactions: tadmaz
Isn't that another heat source I see on the wall behind the stove?

It may not be helpful, but there is no way I would rent and live in a place that had wood heat as its only source of heat, just way too much disaster potential for both the rentor and the rentee. Having a wood source available as a second source to supplement with, maybe. Just the fact that insurance is very hard to come by for that situation (around here at least) is a primary red flag to the whole thing. Are you able to get insurance? (Renters?)
I haven’t tried yet. I just moved in. It was the only place in the area that would allow me to have my animals. The thing behind it is an lp heater but we do not have an lp tank on the property. The only other thing we have is space heaters

You got to get that chimney inspected if it isn't lined with an insulated liner, a crack in the clay tile can let flue gasses into the structure causing a fire, especially if the masonry chimney doesn't have the proper clearances.
The single wall smoke pipe (black pipe) should be replaced, looks as though some goofed up and put sealant on all the joints, no good all that will do is stink the place out, I don't know why so many people put sealant in the joints, the natural vacuum of the draft will keep the smoke in the pipe, also make sure the male ends are pointed to the stove to allow any creosote to drain back to the stove.
The stove clearences and hearth pad need to be checked, not sure what stove that is, looks like an US wonderwood but the manual needs to be consulted for hearth pad r value and clearences to combustibles.
Would I call a chimney sweep to inspect it? As far as the sealant I did that. I was instructed at the hardware store to do that since smoke was coming out of the joints.

That seems and looks sketchy to me. I don't know what was actually written in your lease or what not. If electrical is included I would just run those.

Where I live, I doubt any insurance carrier would insure a rental dwelling heated with a solid fuel burning appliance. In general, they charge a huge additional premium (over a homeowner's policy) just because the owner doesn't live there (which they consider to be an increased risk). Add the risk that some people wouldn't have a clue how to burn wood safely, and they certainly would not be happy. Your landlord is lucky to have a tenant like you.

Where I live, I doubt any insurance carrier would insure a rental dwelling heated with a solid fuel burning appliance. In general, they charge a huge additional premium (over a homeowner's policy) just because the owner doesn't live there (which they consider to be an increased risk). Add the risk that some people wouldn't have a clue how to burn wood safely, and they certainly would not be happy. Your landlord is lucky to have a tenant like you.
I wouldn't say lucky. If they take our advice they will find that allot of work needs to be done on this system to make it safe. And in most states the landlord will be required to do that work or supply some other safe heating option. And no the ventless propane unit is not a safe heating option

Agreed. By lucky I mean the tenant is conscientious enough to care about a place they don't own. That doesn't mean they won't make the wrong decisions, but being aware of possible dangers and caring enough to do something about it is a good start.

Reactions: bholler
Agreed. By lucky I mean the tenant is conscientious enough to care about a place they don't own. That doesn't mean they won't make the wrong decisions, but being aware of possible dangers and caring enough to do something about it is a good start.
Oh yeah I want to be as educated and informed as possible. This thing makes me a little paranoid. That’s why I’m wanting to learn what I can. My landlord had the chimney swept today and it’s replacing some of the piping tomorrow. I’ll say this if I need something fixed he does it.

I wouldn't say lucky. If they take our advice they will find that allot of work needs to be done on this system to make it safe. And in most states the landlord will be required to do that work or supply some other safe heating option. And no the ventless propane unit is not a safe heating option
I definitely do not want to use that lp heater. I wish he would just install electric heaters in the home the floor board ones. I don’t like those either but I would prefer it over what I have.