Extra large Hearth rugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 26, 2013
SouthCoast Region, MA
I am just finishing having my new oak floors and I'd like to find an extra large Hearth rug to put in front of my Jotel f55 to protect the floor. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations / Leeds. All I can seem to find on Amazon in extra large sizes are cheap polyester rugs that get absolutely crappy reviews. I'm trying to find something larger than the standard 28 by 18 or so, something in the vicinity of 36 or 48 by 30

I am just finishing having my new oak floors and I'd like to find an extra large Hearth rug to put in front of my Jotel f55 to protect the floor. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations / Leeds. All I can seem to find on Amazon in extra large sizes are cheap polyester rugs that get absolutely crappy reviews. I'm trying to find something larger than the standard 28 by 18 or so, something in the vicinity of 36 or 48 by 30
A hearth rug does not qualify as even ember protection

Is this for beyond the hearth, or are you considering this for the actual hearth? The latter is definitely a no. We have a wool hearth rug but it has 18" of hearth between it and the stove door. It's mostly for the cats, but it has caught an occasional stray ember pop.

I took a rug, some 2x3s, a piece of cement board, and a case of cheap tile and made a nice cheap portahearth ember protection thingy. The hearth rug (which came with the house) serves as a scratch protector to stop the 2x3 from sitting directly on the floor. Made it 36x60, as that's the size of a piece of cement board. That size is just about right to hold a stove loadin' chair, some wood, and me.

I think I spent about $40 total, probably less than the previous owner paid for the rug.

Is this for beyond the hearth, or are you considering this for the actual hearth? The latter is definitely a no. We have a wool hearth rug but it has 18" of hearth between it and the stove door. It's mostly for the cats, but it has caught an occasional stray ember pop.

Beyond. I have 20” of actual stone between the stove door and the wood floor, but occasionally when reloading I’ll get a pop or two and I’d like to prevent sear marks on the new oak.

The local stove place only has small ones and doesn’t have any leads on larger ones. I’d like to find one larger so it’ll extend off to the sides as well.

Look for fiberglass and wool hearth rugs, though based on how this will be used it doesn't have to be a hearth rug. Plow and Hearth is a good place to start looking. 3' x 5' area rugs are a popular dimension if that will work.