Extra damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tinkerin

Nov 8, 2014
Idaho
Hello, I have a Heatilator ws22 and have had it for several years and mostly enjoy it. However, I am getting tired of building a new fire every morning. I am in Idaho and burn doug fir, larch and lodgepole. I can only get about 6 to 7 hours so my question is can I add a chimney dampener with this stove and if so would it be beneficial? Guess that technically is two questions. Thanks.

How tall is the flue system on the stove? Is it straight up?

Try closing down the air sooner when starting up the fire, packing the stove tightly and burning thicker splits. Are you loading the stove N/S or E/W?

How tall is the flue system on the stove? Is it straight up?

Try closing down the air sooner when starting up the fire, packing the stove tightly and burning thicker splits. Are you loading the stove N/S or E/W?

Thank you for the reply. The flue is about 12 feet straight up I'm guessing, maybe a bit more. I usually get it going pretty hot then close down the air. I am loading n/s. This year I have split larger so maybe it will improve, just seems to burn so much faster than it should. I know the wood I have is not ideal (hardwood) but it is what is around here. I also have yet to pack it tightly this year, it does produce HEAT, lots of it, and when full is too much for my house. 1800sqft.

A friend has a Blaze King and burns like 36 hours off of a load of the same wood. I know there is a huge price difference, just didn't realize how awesome those stoves must be made/designed.

A friend has a Blaze King and burns like 36 hours off of a load of the same wood. I know there is a huge price difference, just didn't realize how awesome those stoves must be made/designed.
A stove like the BK is designed with a catalyst to chew through the smoke as the wood smolders. It's an entirely different and more expensive design due to the additional parts and the fact that these stoves are thermostatically regulated. Another cat stove that would work for you is the Woodstock Ideal Steel, but shipping out west is expensive. If interested, they sometimes have a free shipping sale.

Reactions: tinkerin