Q&A External hot water heater system for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I would like to install an external hot water heater system near or on the rear side of my WoodStock Soapstone woodstove. Does anyone know of a company that make a external water heater system that can be plumbed to the existing hot water heater for energy savings? Basically I would like to use my woodstove to heat water to help supply hot water. Also is this a item I just have to make myself or have a fab shop make?

Answer:

Best to fab it yourself...since this is a low temperature area this will be relatively simple. You will want something that has good heat transfer capabilities. For instance, the finned copper used in DHW coils in boilers. You will want to enclose it to keep the heat in.

Good Luck.

There is an article on this in the section: https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Status
Not open for further replies.