Extending Olympic ITH06 Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pberardi

Feb 21, 2015
Schwenksville, PA
I just finished wrapping up a basement reno where i put up sheetrock and framed out walls. I put a drop ceiling in which significantly lowered by clearances to the single wall pipe on my existing stove.

Yesterday I called to place an order for some double wall pipe - when talking the rep through my situation he noticed that my thimble does not extend into my living space by the required 3". When i got home from work to look i noticed that i am also already maxed out on my extension since i am at 14".

I tried to call Olympic to get advice on what to do but they wouldn't work with end users on technical questions.

When breaking that thimble down to its simplest form its literally just a ceramic blanket of insulation wrapped around a piece of single wall pipe with another piece of rolled steel around the whole assembly. My question is am i able to buy a piece of metal with equal thickness along with a piece of insulation rated at the same specifications and make a 3" extension in the middle?