Extending a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Srider176

Jan 30, 2019
SE Pa
Extending a hearth
At this very moment I’m sitting with my child staring at my woodstove that was given to me for two cases of Budweiser and as I search on the Internet I would like to find a bigger stove that can last longer than a few hours of burn time my problem is is that even a Osburn 1600 is too big and the blower will overhang by three or 4 inches on my heart that I have.

I’ve searched online on how to extend the heart but all of those fireplaces go all the way down to the floor and as you can see in my pictures mine is raised does anyone have any knowledge of any old posts on how they extended their hearth.

I know what I have isn’t the ideal set up but with two small kids and starting an apprenticeship this has helped me save a lot of money on oil.
Extending a hearth

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking on here on and off for a while thanks in advance for any information on how I can extend my hearth

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I just recently went through the stove buying process. I was trying to figure out hearth extensions, clearances and what would physically fit in the space and in budget. Right now I’m rocking a 6 month old ,managing a two an five year old’s glitter glue and scissor project (finishing the post could take all morning).

I would recommend choosing a stove/insert first. Then you have specific clearances to build too. Some need ember protection others list a specific R value. Where you have a raised hearth it may or may not affect the front hearth protection dimension. Just as a point of reference I have 41” from rear of fireplace to front of hearth.

If I needed to extend my hearth I was planning on making a pad that met the R value and clearances required and set directly on the floor and choosing the best looking tile that needed the least amount of cutting for the top.

Hope that helps some.

First thing is that stove hooked to a liner going to the top of the chimney?

I busted up my old hearth and built a elevated hearth
Extending a hearth
Extending a hearth
about 8 inches high. A rear venting stove give you a lot more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Das Jugghead
I built a beefy stud frame on the wood subfloor under the wonder board and limestone slab.
My stove only needed ember protection.

My crawl space already had added support for the existing brick hearth.