Exposed single wall flue from a fire place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tracksniowa

Oct 24, 2018
Iowa
Hi all, first time poster here. For some back ground I heat my main work shop with a pressure system antique hot water boiler that I installed myself so I understand basic principals for wood burning. Currently I am building a new home and purchased a Heatilator Icon series I-80 with a 42" opening. My plan was to have it installed with stone work and framing around it as normal construction practices but only about a foot or two above the unit. From there I wanted to run steel tubing 8" and 1/8" thick steamless pipe up 17' (corner mounted in vaulted ceiling) and then transition to triple wall pipe up through the ceiling attic and out the chimney which is already framed and stoned. I wanted to do this in order to capture the heat that that pipe would produce and gain efficiency. The company that the contractor had lined up to install the fireplace says they cant do that because its not ul listed. Am I making a mistake in thinking that this is a good idea? This single wall pipe would be in the corner two to three feet from the walls and high enough that no one could touch it. I feel like there is a lot of heat to be gained by doing this but is it a safety concern? Thanks very much for your help.

Hi all, first time poster here. For some back ground I heat my main work shop with a pressure system antique hot water boiler that I installed myself so I understand basic principals for wood burning. Currently I am building a new home and purchased a Heatilator Icon series I-80 with a 42" opening. My plan was to have it installed with stone work and framing around it as normal construction practices but only about a foot or two above the unit. From there I wanted to run steel tubing 8" and 1/8" thick steamless pipe up 17' (corner mounted in vaulted ceiling) and then transition to triple wall pipe up through the ceiling attic and out the chimney which is already framed and stoned. I wanted to do this in order to capture the heat that that pipe would produce and gain efficiency. The company that the contractor had lined up to install the fireplace says they cant do that because its not ul listed. Am I making a mistake in thinking that this is a good idea? This single wall pipe would be in the corner two to three feet from the walls and high enough that no one could touch it. I feel like there is a lot of heat to be gained by doing this but is it a safety concern? Thanks very much for your help.
They are absolutly correct you need to use the chimney that is specified for use with that fireplace to meet code. If you want to gain efficency get a high efficency fireplace not an open one.

Reactions: Tracksniowa
Rethink your plan. This is not an EPA- Rated heating appliance.
You MUST use the specified venting & Class A Chimney is not in that specification.
Here is the install manual.

Attachments

• 4013_260.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 184
Thank you for the replies, I have been studying that manual. This home will not be inspected, and although not epa rated or ul listed I am trying to understand what hazards I would be creating by having a hot pipe like that in free air within the home. Its no different than single wall stove pipe for a wood stove? I am not being stubborn just trying to fully understand so I can make the best decision possible.

Thank you for the replies, I have been studying that manual. This home will not be inspected, and although not epa rated or ul listed I am trying to understand what hazards I would be creating by having a hot pipe like that in free air within the home. Its no different than single wall stove pipe for a wood stove? I am not being stubborn just trying to fully understand so I can make the best decision possible.
The problem is that fireplace has been designed and tested with specific chimney pipe as a system. We have no idea what changing the chimney would do. I dont know that unit specifically but many of the incorporate the cooling chanels in the chimney into the cooling of the fireplace changing the chimney may effect that. Or it may not we simply dont know because it hasnt been tested.

How are you going to get your COO without inspections?

Septic system and electrical system are the only parts being inspected. To clarify I’m not doing this to save money or cut a corner, a plain black pipe matches the look we are going for and I feel like there is a substantial amount of heat to be gained. Do they make a double wall stove pipe that would satisfy manufacturers reqirments athat is designed to scavenge heat into the room?

Septic system and electrical system are the only parts being inspected. To clarify I’m not doing this to save money or cut a corner, a plain black pipe matches the look we are going for and I feel like there is a substantial amount of heat to be gained. Do they make a double wall stove pipe that would satisfy manufacturers reqirments athat is designed to scavenge heat into the room?
No a chimney is not meant to be a heater. If you want heat get a different fireplace that will heat efficiently.

heat with the stove not the flue, robbing heat from the flue causes cooler exhaust gases which forms a lot more creosote, which no one wants, modifying your system so it is less functional and more dangerous to be more aesthetically pleasing is a very dumb idea IMO

Reactions: bholler