Existing Liner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wheels979

Aug 12, 2022
Baltimore MD
Hello All,

Was hoping someone can give me some insight/advice. Just recently moved into a house with a brick chimney.

Noticed the rain hood was loose and when I got up on the roof and looked down the chimney I noticed that the liner was completely rusted.

After some research, I realized that I don’t believe it was a liner in the first place and that at some point they ran double walled chimney pipe up the chimney (see pic).

1. Are my assumptions correct?
2. Can I removed this and use a flexible SS chimney liner?
3. Any ideas on how to pull this out of the chimney, it is heavy as all heck and barely budged.

It is venting an oil furnace and an oil water heater. Thanks!!

Existing Liner Question Existing Liner Question Existing Liner Question

Yes, that should be pulled and replaced with a proper stainless liner.

I would have a level 2 or 3 inspection done before committing to doing anything. Then you’ll know the condition of that brick, clearances to combustibles, run a camera down the chimney and show you what is wrong with it, then they’ll tell you what needs to be done.

Two flues in one chimney. I have a sneaky suspicion there is no divider in the chimney to separate the flues, and there should be.