Exhaust fan for ceiling/floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chadillacgrill

Oct 15, 2019
Ogilvie, MN
Hey guys. I have two fireplaces in my home. One on main floor and one directly below it in the basement. I have installed a wood burning insert into each fireplace. I have the bigger one that produces more heat in the basement. I would like I hear mainly with that one and use the upstairs one as a back up if it’s REALLY cold. I was wondering what fans or vents or exhaust fans or combos of these that you guys use or would recommend to put in the ceiling/floor to get heat from downstairs up into the main family room on the main level. I was just going to put open grates in and gravity hear but decided it would be better to force some of that hot air up through the floor. Thanks for all ideas and input! Look forward to reading them.

Gravity fed may work well if the vents are properly placed and there is a good return path for the air. Is there an open stairwell nearby? Whatever is put in should have fusible-link safety dampers installed under the registers. And a return for a blower assisted system must be at least 10ft away from the insert.

This fan was the game changer for me! Now when you come up my stairs from the basement it almost seems windy from the circulation.

Attachments

• Exhaust fan for ceiling/floor
    430.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 88
    431.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 85
    432.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 88
    433.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
Gravity fed may work well if the vents are properly placed and there is a good return path for the air. Is there an open stairwell nearby? Whatever is put in should have fusible-link safety dampers installed under the registers. And a return for a blower assisted system must be at least 10ft away from the insert.

stairwell is on the other side of the basement. And I was just going to put some fans blowing straight up through the ceiling into floor upstairs. I would need a return for that? Or could I just leave basement door open?

1575651330730.png
Basically just an in line fan. I don't think it will matter to much where your stairs are in relation, in fact maybe farther the better so it distributes the air more? Hardware stores should have them in stock.