Excess Powedery Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f700

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2008
New Hampshire
Anyone else notice in the Northeast the pellets we got during the last shortage seem to have more ash no matter what brand. I burned Vermont Wood all winter with very little ash and lately, I am getting more Ash it seems. This is in my Harmon 52i and all settings are the same as during the winter.

May be related to relative humidity of your storage. I can't say whether my ash has increased.

Noticed it with the Logic and Lg. These FSU's are hella ashy!

Anyone else notice in the Northeast the pellets we got during the last shortage seem to have more ash no matter what brand. I burned Vermont Wood all winter with very little ash and lately, I am getting more Ash it seems. This is in my Harmon 52i and all settings are the same as during the winter.
No but the Okanagan DF's I got are not pure DF. I can see some light looking pellets in the mix. Additionally they form resinous looking clinkers, pure DF's never form clinkers.
The Energex Premium I'm burning right now are pretty ashy but they are anyway. These are no worse than the ones I had in Jan.

FSU aint half the ash of Lee's or Green supreme

Noticed it with the Logic and Lg. These FSU's are hella ashy!
I agree, when I had them I thought they were a notch more ashy than Energex Premiums. They may be made by Energex actually but where the Energex make big cheeks ash overnight to he FSU also fill in the center of the burn pot. Both fill your ash pan prematurely IMO..

I agree, when I had them I thought they were a notch more ashy than Energex Premiums. They may be made by Energex actually but where the Energex make big cheeks ash overnight to he FSU also fill in the center of the burn pot. Both fill your ash pan prematurely IMO..
Ever try the Energex Golden Supreme pellets?

Ever try the Energex Golden Supreme pellets?
No, I haven't run into those yet. These are Premium, supposed to be all softwood. I like the all hardwood Energex. They burn with a smaller flame for t he same heat in he colder weather. Same ash quantity more or less as the soft woods.

We are in the shoulder season now, I'll get/ throw any pellet in he hopper now. Half the time of day the stove is running through shut down. Burns a bit more at night but nothing like back in Jan. Coming from coal I'm enjoying not fighting with the stove cause I cut it back that little bit too much!

Much agreed. I need to clean this weekend, was trying to wait to do a year end cleaning. Oh well.

Much agreed. I need to clean this weekend, was trying to wait to do a year end cleaning. Oh well.
Me too, I skipped last weekend but the poor thing is getting filthy, even though its a bit warmer out now and using a few less pellets. Got to do it sat morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.